Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just on the Taylor thing, I'm not sure people realise just how good John Barnes was.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I thought you were on about "Sir" Luther Blissett
    I'm glad I read this before posting a similar thing in the other thread

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm trying to think who I hated most in those sides. Steve Nicol, Ronnie Moran, Ray Houghton and Steve McMahon were all cünts. Rush's habit of metronomically scoring goals over and over again was quite cüntish, but he himself was too boring a human to hate properly.

Overall, though, I think it has to be either Aldridge or Grobelaar who was the biggest cünt.
    Ronnie Whelan surely - and he was the biggest ****. I always quite liked Bruce - being the weak link in a very strong team helped

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Kolo / Yaya ?
    Kimble/Kumble?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

He was head and shoulders above most other players in the league for most of the 1980s. When we were playing Liverpool, you always shat yourself a bit when he was on the ball in a way you didn't with others.

So, in short, well done John Barnes.
    Beardsley as well - magnificent player, tends to be forgotten these days, but was one of the best. Shame they never really got to play in Europe while at the top of their game. Mind you, also quite serves them right as they went to play for the team responsible for getting us banned

It would certainly explain a lot. Although Luther got the last laugh because John Barnes never had an anarcho-syndicalist writers' collective who actually wrote rather a decent novel about the wars of religion in Early Modern Europe named after him, did he?
    Neither did Barnes get to sing backing vocals on Bowie's "Young Americans" LP. Well done Luther, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Beardsley as well - magnificent player, tends to be forgotten these days, but was one of the best. Shame they never really got to play in Europe while at the top of their game. Mind you, also quite serves them right as they went to play for the team responsible for getting us banned
    Yes. In combination they could be devastatingly good. Many's the time I cursed them for it, of course.

Ronnie Whelan surely - and he was the biggest ****. I always quite liked Bruce - being the weak link in a very strong team helped
    If it brings any solace to you let me make you aware that RW is still a massive, grade A ****.

His frequent pundit appearances on Irish television would have one swearing more than usual (and then clearly having to apologise / point out that it is not clever etc).

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    If it brings any solace to you let me make you aware that RW is still a massive, grade A ****.

His frequent pundit appearances on Irish television would have one swearing more than usual (and then clearly having to apologise / point out that it is not clever etc).
    I am well aware of this unfortunately - the Whelan bit, not your profanities

I am well aware of this unfortunately - the Whelan bit, not your profanities
    My abiding memory will always be of him in the background during the 0-2 in 89 when the ref's talking to someone else and Whelan is in the background with his gob open looking like a total fücking mong.

****er Whelan listens to the linesman talking the the referee after the first goal
    He goes for a pressure talk with the linesman after the goal has been given
    10 characters? Pile of cund.