Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would we rather play in the 4th round - Saints or Canaries?

Who would we rather play in the 4th round - Saints or Canaries?

Obviously Narge are the lower-order side, but Southampton would have two extra games if we play them, being ahead in their league cup semi. If they don't chuck it against Norwich they'll either be knackered or play the kids against us.

Obviously we are capable of ****ing it up against any side, but still .... fifth round beckons imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Obviously Narge are the lower-order side, but Southampton would have two extra games if we play them, being ahead in their league cup semi. If they don't chuck it against Norwich they'll either be knackered or play the kids against us.

Obviously we are capable of ****ing it up against any side, but still .... fifth round beckons imo.
    Also, Saints may challenge us for 6th so the more fixtures they have the better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

I'm not sure they would play the kids and if they manage to come through Norwich there is an old adage about winning players not feeling tired.

Anyhow, as means of an edit, I don't necessarily buy into all this tired nonsense. We played twice in 48 hours recently, a situation which we all accept was not normal. Their extra cup games will be midweek so still looking at 3-4 days rest either side.

In summary, normal. Unless you lose, then it becomes an excuse.
    Last edited by SWv2; 01-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Norwich. Nearer to me.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Norwich. Nearer to me.
    I've always had an odd soft spot for Norwich. It doesn't hurt that it's also a nice city.

It is a nice place. A church on every street corner. Or so it seems.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I'm not sure they would play the kids and if they manage to come through Norwich there is an old adage about winning players not feeling tired.

Anyhow, as means of an edit, I don't necessarily buy into all this tired nonsense. We played twice in 48 hours recently, a situation which we all accept was not normal. Their extra cup games will be midweek so still looking at 3-4 days rest either side.

In summary, normal. Unless you lose, then it becomes an excuse.
    So Norwich then, in your view. I probably agree. Certainly we don't have a recent history of problems against them, except 2012 away, IIRC.

I think there is some evidence accumulating about the advantage of not having midweek European games. Chelsea and Liverpool have benefited this year. Liverpool the other year, and Spurs have picked up form since the end of the group stage.

Southampton will be playing twice a week for three weeks. We'll be playing once a week. I don't think it is nonsense to suggest that tiredness could be a factor.

Yes. And some really lovely old pubs. Also home to the most hilariously unconvincing transvestite I've ever seen. He had about three days' growth of beard and walked like a nightclub bouncer.

Always handy when you feel the need to get the mass.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Always handy when you feel the need to get the mass.
    Sadly, sw, these would be the churches the evil protestants stole from us. Their services are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.