Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This country is backwards. They already cancelled 80 flights from Heathrow

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Also, it's actually not the snow per se that's the problem, it's ice. Ours being a temperate climate, we don't tend to get the really low temperatures that means snow falls and just sits there prettily and is relatively easy to deal with. What happens is that snow or sleet will fall and then melt and overnight will turn to ice, which is much harder to deal with.
    It's like here. Obviously snow isn't a problem but they aren't used to strong winds - when we had gales here a couple of years back it caused all sorts of problems, not least the fact that all manner of trees, not having had to defend themselves from that battering, don't grow roots too deep and were toppling over everywhere. Caused absolute chaos on the beautiful tree-lined main roads and such. Sometime nature isn't really a help

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    It's like here. Obviously snow isn't a problem but they aren't used to strong winds - when we had gales here a couple of years back it caused all sorts of problems, not least the fact that all manner of trees, not having had to defend themselves from that battering, don't grow roots too deep and were toppling over everywhere. Caused absolute chaos on the beautiful tree-lined main roads and such. Sometime nature isn't really a help
    Pah! Flimsy Euro-trees, you see, la? Nothing in comparison to our beautiful, strong, British trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    but we do pay over the odds on transport, housing and fuel and tobacco imo.
    And don't get me started on council tax.

Other smaller gripes I always have problems with deliveries. (I blame the uk for this since I am at it)
    and the electric here is too powerful. I bought a nice new electric toothbrush with a stand. But unfortunately it can not be charged in my bathroom as I do not have the luxury of a shaver socket.
    You can borrow my shaver socket if you like. I don't use it for anything. Are transport costs higher than other countries? I know mainline rail is very expensive, but London buses and the Overground are quite reasonably priced, I think, even if the tubes are a little bit dear. And aren't petrol prices quite low at the moment relatively?

We have been used to cheap clothes and domestic goods from China though. We'd really miss that cheap, sweated labour if something happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You can borrow my shaver socket if you like. I don't use it for anything. Are transport costs higher than other countries? I know mainline rail is very expensive, but London buses and the Overground are quite reasonably priced, I think, even if the tubes are a little bit dear. And aren't petrol prices quite low at the moment relatively?

We have been used to cheap clothes and domestic goods from China though. We'd really miss that cheap, sweated labour if something happened there.
    It's up to £1.20 for diesel last time I went.

I will have to look into the cost of London transport. I read the average ticket in London is twice as expensive as Paris and New York.

I will say food is cheap here and clothes. Of course I am looking at a London perspective and not the rest of the UK.