Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having slagged off Christmas telly, I quite enjoyed the Bronte sisters thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. A smack in the face to one of our great authors.
    I don't know if you've ever actually tried to read an Agatha Christie book (no reason to, after all), but by no stretch of the imagination could she be described as 'one of our great authors'.

I tried to read one once on a holiday let because it was on the shelf and I'd run out of books. Honestly, I was amazed by how bad it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't know if you've ever actually tried to read an Agatha Christie book (no reason to, after all), but by no stretch of the imagination could she be described as 'one of our great authors'.

I tried to read one once on a holiday let because it was on the shelf and I'd run out of books. Honestly, I was amazed by how bad it was.
    I've never read one, no, but I really meant 'great' in terms of volume of output rathewr than quality.

She really did churn that **** out, didn't she?

That's true, I hadn't thought of that.

I expect it's terribly earnest, but appropriate.
    Oh, there's all sorts of rip-roaring stuff going on with mistresses and Jacobites and the like. And he basically lives in Honister Pass.

Those ******* lefties at the BBC changing the name of last year's offering really pissed me off. Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is.
    I think that was done ages ago by the publishers, was it not? Was the poem itself originally 10 little n-bombs?

Different times, Charles, different times.

I've never read one, no, but I really meant 'great' in terms of volume of output rathewr than quality.

She really did churn that **** out, didn't she?
    She did. Like the Morse books (I imagine), they make far better TV and movie adaptations than they do books.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I think that was done ages ago by the publishers, was it not? Was the poem itself originally 10 little n-bombs?

It's all politically motivated, you know. They change the language to change your brain and make you vote for Corbyn.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

I certainly remember it being '10 Little Indians' even in my day. Apparently, dead Indians are fine.

It's all politically motivated, you know. They change the language to change your brain and make you vote for Corbyn.
    Given that he's currently polling behind 'Don't Know', it doesn't seem to be doing a tremendously good job, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    She did. Like the Morse books (I imagine), they make far better TV and movie adaptations than they do books.
    I read a Morse book once. It was utter, utter tripe. But then Dexter was a dreadful commie, so what would one expect?

I read a Morse book once. It was utter, utter tripe. But then Dexter was a dreadful commie, so what would one expect?
    I used to devour detective fiction back in the day. Chandler, Hammett, MacDonald, McBain, Wambaugh, Rankin, Hill, Mosley - all those guys. And then I just stopped. Completely lost interest. Odd, really. Maybe I ought to try and rediscover them?