Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having slagged off Christmas telly, I quite enjoyed the Bronte sisters thing.

Having slagged off Christmas telly, I quite enjoyed the Bronte sisters thing.

Lots of miserable northernness, hatchet-faced old trouts and tuberculosis.

At one point, her brother told Emily Bronte to fück off, a sentiment echoed by anyone who ever had to study Wuthering Heights at university and wibble on tediously about the unreliable authorial voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Lots of miserable northernness, hatchet-faced old trouts and tuberculosis.

At one point, her brother told Emily Bronte to fück off, a sentiment echoed by anyone who ever had to study Wuthering Heights at university and wibble on tediously about the unreliable authorial voice.
    I'm going to watch that tonight. Any tits?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm going to watch that tonight. Any tits?
    Happily, no. Of the three, only the one who played Anne would even bear consideration. There is some fantasised shagging now that I think about it, though.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil it by telling you that they all die in the end.

Happily, no. Of the three, only the one who played Anne would even bear consideration. There is some fantasised shagging now that I think about it, though.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil it by telling you that they all die in the end.
    I fancied something nice and heavily Georgian or Victorian to read whilst away. Dickens feels too light, Eliot can fúck off, Austen/Brontes girly stuff isn't quite right for a chap. Hardy, perhaps? I love The Mayor of Casterbridge but hated Tess. What say you?

I thought the Agatha Christie thing was very good again this year.

Not in the same class as And Then There Were None from last year, but that was utterly exceptional so no shame there.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I thought the Agatha Christie thing was very good again this year.

Not in the same class as And Then There Were None from last year, but that was utterly exceptional so no shame there.
    Those ******* lefties at the BBC changing the name of last year's offering really pissed me off. Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is.

I fancied something nice and heavily Georgian or Victorian to read whilst away. Dickens feels too light, Eliot can fúck off, Austen/Brontes girly stuff isn't quite right for a chap. Hardy, perhaps? I love The Mayor of Casterbridge but hated Tess. What say you?
    Well for the sake of regionality, you ought to read Rogue Herries by Walpole, of course.

Those ******* lefties at the BBC changing the name of last year's offering really pissed me off. Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is.
    Was it 10 Little N-Bombs?

Did you really think they wouldn't change the title?

Was it 10 Little N-Bombs?

Did you really think they wouldn't change the title?
    Absolutely ridiculous. A smack in the face to one of our great authors.

Well for the sake of regionality, you ought to read Rogue Herries by Walpole, of course.
    That's true, I hadn't thought of that.

I expect it's terribly earnest, but appropriate.