Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watched Bridge at Remagen yesterday whilst tucked up on the sofa with a fire blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Certain musicals would of course be acceptable. Oliver! for instance, is excellent despite having no warfare in it whatsoever.
    God no!!! I meant "The Man Who Would Be King" of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    God no!!! I meant "The Man Who Would Be King" of course!
    I did wonder, but didn't say anything cutting as I'm trying to be nice to people on the internet this year and pointing out that 'The King and I' is a musical for screaming benders would have been wrong in that context.

The Man Who Would Be King is OK, but goes on a bit. Worth turning on for the ending where he sings 'The Minstrel Boy' as they cut the rope bridge, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Work colleague spent Christmas in a cottage in the Lakes... said it was lovely with less people around and cold crisp mornings
    Went in December two years ago. Spent one day of mildly terrifying peril up on the tops in fog and torrential rain, though climbing next to Sourmilk Gill (Seathwaite) in the pissing rain is quite the spectacle. Was so relieved to see the shape of the Honister Mine finally appearing through the mist on the slippery, rocky descent. Getting back to the hotel to dry out in front of the old roaring fire and a few pints of ale was pure joy. As you say though, cheap rates and the place to yourselves.

Also went one January - up Skiddaw in a blizzard was fun. Had to walk backwards to give the exposed side of the face a rest from the relentless icy blast. That was that day I discovered the mighty power of the humble flapjack. Then up one of Blencathra's ridges in the ice. Wouldn't do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Went in December two years ago. Spent one day of mildly terrifying peril up on the tops in fog and torrential rain, though climbing next to Sourmilk Gill (Seathwaite) in the pissing rain is quite the spectacle. Was so relieved to see the shape of the Honister Mine finally appearing through the mist on the slippery, rocky descent. Getting back to the hotel to dry out in front of the old roaring fire and a few pints of ale was pure joy. As you say though, cheap rates and the place to yourselves.

Also went one January - up Skiddaw in a blizzard was fun. Had to walk backwards to give the exposed side of the face a rest from the relentless icy blast. That was that day I discovered the mighty power of the humble flapjack. Then up one of Blencathra's ridges in the ice. Wouldn't do that now.
    It comes to something when you're glad to see the empty bleakness of the Honister Pass in winter imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

I'm not reaslly planning on going up anything, tbh, other than driving up passes, obviously.

I shall mainly be going along. Or pointing my toes to the fire, listening to the wind howling and the rain battering against the windows

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm not reaslly planning on going up anything, tbh
    I'm sure this is welcome news for your good lady wife.

I'm sure this is welcome news for your good lady wife.
    Oh don't know, she's prbably braver than I in these m...

Ah. I see what you mean. Yes. Not that she is troubled by these matters, of course. What with my physiological issues.

Oh don't know, she's prbably braver than I in these m...

Ah. I see what you mean. Yes. Not that she is troubled by these matters, of course. What with my physiological issues.
    I've heard they can do wonders with pumps these days.

I've heard they can do wonders with pumps these days.
    I was prescribed a lolly stick and two elastic bands by my GP, but results to date have been disappointing.

I'm not reaslly planning on going up anything, tbh, other than driving up passes, obviously.

I shall mainly be going along. Or pointing my toes to the fire, listening to the wind howling and the rain battering against the windows
    Your cottage isn't too close to a river, I hope. All very picturesque, of course, but a bit nervy when it starts getting higher and closer.