Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watched Bridge at Remagen yesterday whilst tucked up on the sofa with a fire blazing.

Watched Bridge at Remagen yesterday whilst tucked up on the sofa with a fire blazing.

Why couldn't more Christmas telly be like that? Fück off, Harry Potter! Fück off, Sherlock! Fück off, Peter Kay's Warmed Up Comedy Leftovers!

War films, that's what you need. All Christmas. Obviously including Zulu

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

Why couldn't more Christmas telly be like that? Fück off, Harry Potter! Fück off, Sherlock! Fück off, Peter Kay's Warmed Up Comedy Leftovers!

War films, that's what you need. All Christmas. Obviously including Zulu
    My favourite christmas memory is of a christmas eve afternoon when I was 8 or 9, watching The Battle of the Bulge whilst my mother bustled around doing whatever mothers do on christmas eve.

That 9 year old is dead now, of course. As is she. All comes to dust, you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    My favourite christmas memory is of a christmas eve afternoon when I was 8 or 9, watching The Battle of the Bulge whilst my mother bustled around doing whatever mothers do on christmas eve.

And when you get to our age the Battle of the Bulge takes on a whole new meaning
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    And when you get to our age the Battle of the Bulge takes on a whole new meaning
    Yes, my belt informs me that christmas has taken its toll.

Mind you, I'm off oop Lakes tomorrow for a week of struggling up mountains in the dark and the rain, so I probably need a layer of fat to ward off the hypothermia.

And a Happy New Year to you, old chum.

I have a similar 9/10 year-old memory, only it was Easter and I was watching The Great Escape while painting Napoleonic soldiers with a glass of orange squash and a couple of biscuits. I remember thinking that life didn't get much better than that. I was probably right, to be fair.

I liked The Battle of the Bugle, but it's one that historical knowledge has ruined for me. I went through thon Anthony Beevor book about it and they didn't mention Robert Shaw once.

Are you doing your usual January flit to foreign climes to avoid weather this year?

Yes, my belt informs me that christmas has taken its toll.

Mind you, I'm off oop Lakes tomorrow for a week of struggling up mountains in the dark and the rain, so I probably need a layer of fat to ward off the hypothermia.
    Thinking of doing the lakes again this Spring... have a jolly good time

And a Happy New Year to you, old chum.

I have a similar 9/10 year-old memory, only it was Easter and I was watching The Great Escape while painting Napoleonic soldiers with a glass of orange squash and a couple of biscuits. I remember thinking that life didn't get much better than that. I was probably right, to be fair.

I liked The Battle of the Bugle, but it's one that historical knowledge has ruined for me. I went through thon Anthony Beevor book about it and they didn't mention Robert Shaw once.

Are you doing your usual January flit to foreign climes to avoid weather this year?
    Yes, happy new year and all that.

Sadly we are unable so to do this year due to pesky work commitments. We're just squeezing in a week oop norf from tomorrow; sat down yesterday to look for a nice cottage and found the most remarkable bargains. Who knew that the Lake District would be unpopular in January?

Sadly we are unable so to do this year due to pesky work commitments. We're just squeezing in a week oop norf from tomorrow; sat down yesterday to look for a nice cottage and found the most remarkable bargains. Who knew that the Lake District would be unpopular in January?
    Work colleague spent Christmas in a cottage in the Lakes... said it was lovely with less people around and cold crisp mornings

It does seem a bit odd of you to go somewhere that's actually darker, colder and wetter than where you live, I must admit. However, I of course wish you joy of it - it can be very beautiful in winter if the weather is kind. If not, pubs, open fires, ale and hearty grub will see you through.

It does seem a bit odd of you to go somewhere that's actually darker, colder and wetter than where you live, I must admit. However, I of course wish you joy of it - it can be very beautiful in winter if the weather is kind. If not, pubs, open fires, ale and hearty grub will see you through.
    It's not really worth travelling somewhere properly warm for the sake of a week, so I'm thinking we may as well embrace it.

It's going to be like living in an Ingmar Bergman movie, isn't it?