Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a trifle sketchy this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Are they worth going to? {Boring question, but I would appreciate a proper answer. Me and a couple of girls from my OU days meet up every few months for a museum/gallery/talk etc but haven't been there and I wondered whether it would be worth it. Would it interest and occupy us for 2.5-3hrs or so?}
    I don't think you'd get that long out of it. It's interesting, but you'd be in and out within an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't think you'd get that long out of it. It's interesting, but you'd be in and out within an hour.
    Cheers. Will give that a miss unless there's something near-by to do as well.

When we went to the Museum of London, I think we all sort of deliberately slowed the pace because we all thought that after the Romans, it was just Great Fire. After 3 hrs we decided to go to the boozer, but looking in the gift shop, we found that there was a whole section on the Suffragettes at the end that we'd missed.

When we went to the NPG, we only got to the very start of Victoria - but that's got enough left for a 2nd full visit.

Do you have any recommendations?

{The one time in my life all my study of mil-hist came in useful was when we went to the IWM. They decided to go from the top and work our way down. There was the Ashford VC collection there, and I said can we have a quick pop in. Just so I can see if Chevasse's is in there. Yet because I could fill in lots of background about who many of these soldiers were or the wars and campaigns esp in India etc, and how the medals system and the army worked etc, we spent about an hour in there and they both said afterwards that I'd made it thoroughly enjoyable for them much to their surprise.

Also, one of the girls is German, so when we got to the Nazi bit, she could translate.

Have you any idea how many different signs they put up saying that Jews bring you bad luck in various different ways?}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

When we went to the Museum of London, I think we all sort of deliberately slowed the pace because we all thought that after the Romans, it was just Great Fire. After 3 hrs we decided to go to the boozer, but looking in the gift shop, we found that there was a whole section on the Suffragettes at the end that we'd missed.

When we went to the NPG, we only got to the very start of Victoria - but that's got enough left for a 2nd full visit.

Do you have any recommendations?

{The one time in my life all my study of mil-hist came in useful was when we went to the IWM. They decided to go from the top and work our way down. There was the Ashford VC collection there, and I said can we have a quick pop in. Just so I can see if Chevasse's is in there. Yet because I could fill in lots of background about who many of these soldiers were or the wars and campaigns esp in India etc, and how the medals system and the army worked etc, we spent about an hour in there and they both said afterwards that I'd made it thoroughly enjoyable for them much to their surprise.

Also, one of the girls is German, so when we got to the Nazi bit, she could translate.

Have you any idea how many different signs they put up saying that Jews bring you bad luck in various different ways?}
    Berni and I once spent a wonderful morning strolling around the National Army Museum, before partaking of a lunch of shawarma and several bottles of very quaffable Chateau Musar. Not wishing to waste the afternoon we repaired to a public house and drank steadily until falling out time.

I commend this course of action to you unreservedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Berni and I once spent a wonderful morning strolling around the National Army Museum, before partaking of a lunch of shawarma and several bottles of very quaffable Chateau Musar. Not wishing to waste the afternoon we repaired to a public house and drank steadily until falling out time.

We do like our 3 hrs of culture and/or learning before hitting the boozer. Would this Army place satisfy us for that length of time? (And where is it, btw?)

We do like our 3 hrs of culture and/or learning before hitting the boozer. Would this Army place satisfy us for that length of time? (And where is it, btw?)
    It's in Chelsea. I can't imagine spending 3hours in a museum, to be honest. 2 hours and I need some air, but there is plenty of stuff to see...

It's in Chelsea. I can't imagine spending 3hours in a museum, to be honest. 2 hours and I need some air, but there is plenty of stuff to see...
    Cheers for that. We always say afterwards that we should have had a pub break after 2 hrs and then done another 1 or 2 after a few beers.

But if there's enough there, I'll suggest it to the OU girls. Thanks for that.

Something nearby to do? It's ****ing London, of course there's something nearby to do. A stroll in St James' Park, National Gallery round the corner, Westminster Abbey...

Now my memory may be doing me a disservice, but I think we lunched on the King's Road first, then strode to the museum, only then repairing to a pub wherein we sat next to a chap dealing manfully with his rather tiresome pop star girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Something nearby to do? It's ****ing London, of course there's something nearby to do. A stroll in St James' Park, National Gallery round the corner, Westminster Abbey...
    Ah - is it just round the corner from Trafalgar Sq? That would be perfect as then we could go to the NPG and continue from where we left last time at the start of Victoria's reign.

Cheers, mate. That would be sorted.

You guys are lucky...had my office X Mas party at the Holiday Inn in Wembley o:

Company had to cut costs so the usually Radisson festivities were cancelled...remember them even doing one at Twickenham which was awesome.

Jesus fkin Christ....

Manage to procure the last bottle of champagne in the place and it was only 7pm and it was only a half bottle of Piper Hiedsick rose : (

Afterthat it was a cheap prosecco....