Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: ****ing sick of playing these ****s every ****ing year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Better matches they may be, but that doesn't make the group stage matches a waste of time.

No, I'm afraid we are all agreed, you are wrong.

10 f*cking characters

**** them. Not the same team under Ancelotti. At risk of sounding like a Liverpool fan, we'll do them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I don't think ignoring or downgrading historical achievements is a good thing, to be honest.
    As old big head said: The difficult bit was winning the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Better matches they may be, but that doesn't make the group stage matches a waste of time.

No, I'm afraid we are all agreed, you are wrong.
    It is not a case of right or wrong, it is merely personal opinion, yours against mine. I don’t think the competition would be lessened in any way, other than numerical involvement, by removing group stages and proceeding straight to knock out and for that matter by allowing any two sides from the same country to clash at any time.

In fact I think, me personally, it would improve the thing.

When our group was announced every one of us knew we would qualify along with PSG, as we also all knew that City and Barcelona would, and Real and Dortmund. Predictable as my earlier comment to Wes.

I genuinely don’t see much intrigue in that.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    It is not a case of right or wrong, it is merely personal opinion, yours against mine. I don’t think the competition would be lessened in any way, other than numerical involvement, by removing group stages and proceeding straight to knock out and for that matter by allowing any two sides from the same country to clash at any time.

In fact I think, me personally, it would improve the thing.

When our group was announced every one of us knew we would qualify along with PSG, as we also all knew that City and Barcelona would, and Real and Dortmund. Predictable as my earlier comment to Wes.

I genuinely don’t see much intrigue in that.
    That all sounds terribly rational, objective and considered.

Can't you get upset about people disagreeing with you and call someone a c*nt?

I would rather win the league. Losing to Bayern (again) means 5 fewer critical matches. See what an optimist I am?

I don’t think the competition would be lessened in any way, other than numerical involvement, by removing group stages and proceeding straight to knock out and for that matter by allowing any two sides from the same country to clash at any time.
    FA Cup stylee? Open draw, no seeding, like in the old days, where the best team didn't always win it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    FA Cup stylee? Open draw, no seeding, like in the old days, where the best team didn't always win it?
    I’m not entirely sure how it would pan out in reality, perhaps two legs needed in each round. Then you go into murky waters of away goals and I am not really sure how I feel about that either.

No seeding. Seeding is not cool in a straight knock-out.

Barca v Real in Round 1, a giant to fall on their sword at the earliest stage, lovely. Apart from the perspective of the money people of course and we all know the CL exists really to make the rich richer so it will never happen.

Domestic head to heads in these competitions are great as they are very different dynamic to domestic league games, we just hate them as we tend to make a *******s out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    As old big head said: The difficult bit was winning the league.
    For the top teams, that's only really true in England though. So he was right, as ever.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I’m not entirely sure how it would pan out in reality, perhaps two legs needed in each round. Then you go into murky waters of away goals and I am not really sure how I feel about that either.

No seeding. Seeding is not cool in a straight knock-out.

Barca v Real in Round 1, a giant to fall on their sword at the earliest stage, lovely. Apart from the perspective of the money people of course and we all know the CL exists really to make the rich richer so it will never happen.

Domestic head to heads in these competitions are great as they are very different dynamic to domestic league games, we just hate them as we tend to make a *******s out of them.
    I think the value of the competition as it stands - to the players and the clubs, is the fact that it is designed to get the best teams to the end, and so winning it is highly prestigious, like seeded major tournaments in other sports. Random big teams knocking each other out early doors might be fun, and might give 2nd rate teams like us a chance of winning it, but will the players give a **** about what is ultimately a weaker tournament?