Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: So, Eric Bristow eh?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I think his crime was minimising the impact of sexual abuse of children by suggesting that the best approach would be to live with it until you get older and then 'sort them out'.

Which sounds a pathetically stupid thing to think, let alone say. A sackable offence for someone whose job puts them in the public eye? Certainly in today's climate. Caused solely or mostly by reaction social media? Probably.

But I would say the same thing about the idea that the left is stifling debate by throwing 'isms' around every time someone states a contrary opinion. Are they really stifling opinion or is it just social media going overboard whenever given the chance?

The latter, I think. So back to Burney's original point, yes social media is a load of c*nt.
    The left certainly are stifling debate. For starters, have you not heard anything about the 'no-platforming' phenomena that has taken hold in academic institutions? About safe spaces and trigger warnings?

In fact, in the academic sphere, it's even worse, as they are actually influencing what is taught to students. University professors and lecturers are lining up to say they have amended what they teach for fear of being reported to the authorities by over-sensitive students.

You clearly have no idea what's going on in the world if you think these are not genuine issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The left certainly are stifling debate. For starters, have you not heard anything about the 'no-platforming' phenomena that has taken hold in academic institutions? About safe spaces and trigger warnings?

In fact, in the academic sphere, it's even worse, as they are actually influencing what is taught to students. University professors and lecturers are lining up to say they have amended what they teach for fear of being reported to the authorities by over-sensitive students.

You clearly have no idea what's going on in the world if you think these are not genuine issues.

10 ****ing characters

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I loved his extremely Essex wife (dyed blonde, rake thin, sunglasses on a cloudy day ) brandishing the scroll and squealing 'I always knew I was a princess!' like Eliza Doolittle.
    Did you see this?

https://twitter.com/AchinglyChic/sta...81846045589504

Quote Originally Posted by CrossGun View Post
    That sums it up, but even that leaves out some of the high points

I think his crime was minimising the impact of sexual abuse of children by suggesting that the best approach would be to live with it until you get older and then 'sort them out'.

Which sounds a pathetically stupid thing to think, let alone say. A sackable offence for someone whose job puts them in the public eye? Certainly in today's climate. Caused solely or mostly by reaction social media? Probably.

But I would say the same thing about the idea that the left is stifling debate by throwing 'isms' around every time someone states a contrary opinion. Are they really stifling opinion or is it just social media going overboard whenever given the chance?

The latter, I think. So back to Burney's original point, yes social media is a load of c*nt.
    Not so much stifling opinion, I think, as killing the debate, preferably before it even starts. As you have just done there*, in fact.

*That is if I may presume you haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, and instead, just accepted the "corporate" line almost by default.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Not so much stifling opinion, I think, as killing the debate, preferably before it even starts. As you have just done there*, in fact.

*That is if I may presume you haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, and instead, just accepted the "corporate" line almost by default.
    Sorry red, you're going to have to provide more detail about which debate it is that I'm stifling as you sort of lost me there.

You've done it again :-(

You haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, have you. You've simply decided that one is right and the other is wrong.

Not that it matters to us, of course, but this is why so many people voted for Donald Trump. Just sayin'

Sorry red, you're going to have to provide more detail about which debate it is that I'm stifling as you sort of lost me there.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

You haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, have you. You've simply decided that one is right and the other is wrong.

Not that it matters to us, of course, but this is why so many people voted for Donald Trump. Just sayin'
    You've always seemed a top chap, red. I can't imagine someone I'd rather spend time in a pub with.

But there are times when I wonder if you are clinically insane. This is one of them. Great fun, of course.

You've always seemed a top chap, red. I can't imagine someone I'd rather spend time in a pub with.

But there are times when I wonder if you are clinically insane. This is one of them. Great fun, of course.
    Oh, no doubt about that. My parents are both shrinks.

And still you don't "debate"

Oh, no doubt about that. My parents are both shrinks.

And still you don't "debate"
    Ah very good, that explains loads.

And if you are going to insist that I debate I'm afraid you're going to have to let me know what it is we're meant to be debating.

Cause I haven't a clue.