Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: One of these Trump things about which there is considerable outrage.

[QUOTE=Burney;4136291]
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

Given that he is speaking in the present tense, that is demonstrably not the case. Indeed, the fact that you seek to interpret it in that way is evidence of your desperation to categorise him as racist for making a fair point about the situation as it currently obtains. Thus you effectively prove the point you are trying to gainsay - namely, that people like you will dismiss as racist anyone who dares to question the status quo on immigration.

QED.
    You'd feel better if I changed the statement to 'he assumes the majority of Mexicans who have recently (not sure how you want to define recently in this context) arrived in America are criminals'? You think it's that different? You think that Donald Trump has bothered to check the history of Mexican immigration and made a statement based on some undefined interval only, as opposed to a superficial judgement of the Mexican population in America in general? You think much more of him than I do, Burney.

Your next two statements are logical leaps of truly epics proportions. I'm not sure where to start pulling them apart, so I won't.

[QUOTE=Burney;4136298]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post

She was of the opinion that the Irish are all liars.

I can see where she was coming from, to be fair.
    It's called exaggerating for dramatic effect,b

[QUOTE=Sir C;4136299]

She never stopped the búggers coming in though, did she? Even after they blew her up.
    She did express bemusement at the fact that, for people happy to tell you how awful England and the English are, an awful lot of them seemed oddly happy to live here.

[QUOTE=Sir C;4136299]

She never stopped the búggers coming in though, did she? Even after they blew her up.
    Oh btw
    JC sent me a DM about my O'Reilly tweet

[QUOTE=TheCurly;4136303]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Oh btw
    JC sent me a DM about my O'Reilly tweet
    Really? I say, touched by greatness, c. It was rather funny.

[QUOTE=Burney;4136294]
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

And yet you have utterly failed to demonstrate that the statements are racist.
    You think his statement that a Hispanic judge could not rule impartially because he's Hispanic is not a racist statement?

[QUOTE=Sir C;4136304]

Really? I say, touched by greatness, c. It was rather funny.
    Printed and hanging on my fridge next to a picture of the Major roud:

[QUOTE=TheCurly;4136306]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Printed and hanging on my fridge next to a picture of the General roud:
    Tell us what he said c. We won't tell anyone.

Have to say, I'm slightly worried that I appear to be replacing Jorge WCHE on this thread.

It makes me feel dirty

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4136300]
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

You'd feel better if I changed the statement to 'he assumes the majority of Mexicans who have recently (not sure how you want to define recently in this context) arrived in America are criminals'? You think it's that different? You think that Donald Trump has bothered to check the history of Mexican immigration and made a statement based on some undefined interval only, as opposed to a superficial judgement of the Mexican population in America in general? You think much more of him than I do, Burney.

Your next two statements are logical leaps of truly epics proportions. I'm not sure where to start pulling them apart, so I won't.
    Let's go through it, shall we?

"When Mexico sends it people, they're not sending their best." - True. As Sir C says, not many doctors, lawyers or injun chiefs in that lot.
    "They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with [them]. - All true. You don't try and get smuggled into the US if things are going swimmingly south of the border.
    "They're bringing drugs." True. Drug and people smuggling are intrinsically linked.
    "They're bringing crime." True. Illegal immigrant gangs do make up a disproportionate amount of crime in the Southwestern United States.
    "They're rapists." True. Some among them are indeed rapists.
    "And some, I assume, are good people" True, I guess.

There isn't a single statement in that lot that isn't founded in truth. So where exactly is the racism other than in your interpretation?