Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: One of these Trump things about which there is considerable outrage.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4136272]
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

This is a reasonable statement on Mexican immigrants, is it Monty? No suggestion of racism in there anywhere, you think?

"When Mexico sends it people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,"

So no, it's a terrible example.
    It may not be the most compassionate of sentiments, and it may be rather bluntly worded, but it5 seems to me entirely feasible that the chaps trying to enter the US illegally probably aren't doctors, lawyers or bankers, or indeed any of any other strata we might define as a country's 'best'. Have you checked the figures? Do Mexican illegal immigrants feature highly in crime numbers? I wouldn't be amazed if this were the case.

Blunt, definitely. Inelegant, absolutely. Rude? Possibly. Racist? No.

[QUOTE=TheCurly;4136274]
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

I have zero love for the man WES but doesn't quite a large percentage of the heroin coming into the US is coming from Mexico?
    It may not be "immigrants" that are bringing it but it's deffo Mexicans smuggling it
    Very possibly, but if you used that fact as a basis for a statement much like Trump's which condemns the large majority of a rather large number of people you could quite rightly be accused of an ism. And I haven't even mentioned his assertion that the judge of Hispanic descent was incapable of ruling impartially because he was Hispanic.

I asked for an example of a credible source making a logical and rational argument and Monty brings up Donald Trump and his views on immigration

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No, I was just thinking of ways to have sex with pans. Buggering oneself is the easiest (if you're a chap - ladies have their noo-noos for that sort of thing, I believe). I'm not really sure how else one would go about it, tbh.
    Oh, a smear of lard on a non-stick frying pan might make for a pleasant five minutes.

Back in 5.

[QUOTE=Burney;4136276]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post

Yeah. Also, he's also statistically right about the levels of crime perpetrated by illegal Mexican immigrants, but hey.
    A smuggler's safe route can just as easily be used for humans or snort so closing the route is perfectly sensible.

[QUOTE=Sir C;4136277]
    Do Mexican illegal immigrants feature highly in crime numbers? I wouldn't be amazed if this were the case.
    You would be correct not to be amazed. p46.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...port-2013/view

[QUOTE=Sir C;4136277]

It may not be the most compassionate of sentiments, and it may be rather bluntly worded, but it5 seems to me entirely feasible that the chaps trying to enter the US illegally probably aren't doctors, lawyers or bankers, or indeed any of any other strata we might define as a country's 'best'. Have you checked the figures? Do Mexican illegal immigrants feature highly in crime numbers? I wouldn't be amazed if this were the case.

Blunt, definitely. Inelegant, absolutely. Rude? Possibly. Racist? No.
    Well, first of all, Trump's comment makes it clear that he assumes the majority of Mexicans living in America are criminals, so much so that he felt the need to point out that he assumes 'some are good people'. I think that most people would see that sort of assumption as falling pretty firmly in the 'racism' category.

Secondly, I asked for a credible source with a rational, objective argument. Forgive me for not considering Trump and his statements to be quite that.

[QUOTE=Burney;4136276]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post

Yeah. Also, he's also statistically right about the levels of crime perpetrated by illegal Mexican immigrants, but hey.
    The statement I used contains no reference to statistics at all. It's just an absurd, superficial generalisation. Not quite the logical, rational argument I'm looking for.

[QUOTE=Burney;4136284]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

You would be correct not to be amazed. p46.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...port-2013/view
    : sherlock : pg 46 of a 45 page report eh
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4136285]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Well, first of all, Trump's comment makes it clear that he assumes the majority of Mexicans living in America are criminals, so much so that he felt the need to point out that he assumes 'some are good people'. I think that most people would see that sort of assumption as falling pretty firmly in the 'racism' category.

Secondly, I asked for a credible source with a rational, objective argument. Forgive me for not considering Trump and his statements to be quite that.
    Wasn't the context illegal immigrants? That's what I assumed. Illegal immigrants are criminal by definition, no?

I believe the point was the generally accepted response to Trump, rather than Trump himself. You seem to have fallen into the 'generally accepted' camp of categorising anything he says as racist because he said it, so it must eb racist, because he's a racist, which we know, because he says racist things. Even when he doesn't.

[QUOTE=Pokster;4136287]
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

: sherlock : pg 46 of a 45 page report eh
    It's like Lord Of The Rings,p

240 page Appendix