Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One of these Trump things about which there is considerable outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well it's become meaningless, hasn't it? The same word that once denoted the sort of person who'd openly abuse or discriminate against someone of a different race is now reflexively used to describe anyone who questions an open-door immigration policy or wonders aloud whether there might be a problem with some of the habits and attitudes endemic to Islamic communities in the UK. As such, it loses any meaning and increasingly loses impact.
    Can someone point me to an example of someone being called a racist because they questioned an immigration policy?

Is this editorial nonsense in papers like the Guardian or is it typically a public accusation by an individual?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Can someone point me to an example of someone being called a racist because they questioned an immigration policy?

Is this editorial nonsense in papers like the Guardian or is it typically a public accusation by an individual?
    Well just off the top of my head there was the time a serving Prime Minister called a lifelong Labour supporter a 'bigoted woman' because she dared to question his immigration policy.

Hmm, how about the newspaper editorials, social media posts and demonstrating snowflakes calling anyone who voted 'Leave' a racist bigot. Did you not notice that?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well just off the top of my head there was the time a serving Prime Minister called a lifelong Labour supporter a 'bigoted woman' because she dared to question his immigration policy.
    Um, an off the cuff comment by that one-eyed, fat-headed, Jock tosser about some woman he met for all of a minute or two? BTW, we don't actually know that he felt she was bigoted for that reason.

No, sorry Burney, with all this outrage about the left calling everyone something that ends with 'ism' all the time so much so that it's threatening our very existence I wouldn't mind a better example, if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hmm, how about the newspaper editorials, social media posts and demonstrating snowflakes calling anyone who voted 'Leave' a racist bigot. Did you not notice that?
    No, I didn't. Do you have an example? BTW, I use virtually no social media.

No, I didn't. Do you have an example? BTW, I use virtually no social media.
    You can do yyour own research, old chap.

Um, an off the cuff comment by that one-eyed, fat-headed, Jock tosser about some woman he met for all of a minute or two? BTW, we don't actually know that he felt she was bigoted for that reason.

No, sorry Burney, with all this outrage about the left calling everyone something that ends with 'ism' all the time so much so that it's threatening our very existence I wouldn't mind a better example, if you have one.
    It's the other way about, I think. There was no real outrage from Trump's side, but it was clearly ridiculous to find him appalling whilst preparing to return Bill Clinton to the White House instead. It was the Clintons themselves that lowered the appropriate-behaviour-bar, made the rules. So why was there no outrage from their own supporters.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

You think identity politics is just a made up thing by paranoid people on the right and doesn't play a significant role in every area of cultural and political life?

Ah, the old 'Ask for an example, be given an obvious, clear-cut and extremely high profile one and then reject it because...err...reasons' approach.

Google is your friend. If you're actually interested in evidence that counters your point of view, that is - which, of course, you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He is, they say, determined to deport millions of people from the US, and this, they say, is racist. From what I have read, however, he seems to be promising to deport millions of illegal immigrants from the US. This puzzles me.

I mean, isn't 'deporting' exactly what you do to illegal immigrants? If you didn't, then what would be the point of being a legal immigrant?

Racism is complicated, isn't it?

I must admit that I have seen nothing to suggest that there is outrage at Trump's decision to deport illegals. Do you have a sauce?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman