Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at all these protests I am struck by the thought that there are few more

Quote Originally Posted by Brentwood View Post
    "We are strong. You don't know how strong we are"

Said by a man reduced to tears, wailing like a mad man on the streets
    You do wonder if it's occurred to these people that they might be taken a bit more seriously if they didn't keep crying every time they didn't get their way. Seriously, crying because something you don't like has happened is what children do, not grown adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    If anything about him really troubles me, it's that the few moments of footage I have seen suggest to me that he is as thick as pigshít. We'll have to rely on the 'checks and balances', I suppose.
    You're totally wrong. There are no checks and balances. It's tribal. The republicans control all three branches, and now the "lefties," in order to have any chance at regaining power, are going to have to go on a rampage. I believe that the "right," to counter this, will set up paramilitary organizations in defense of those three branches. Things are going to devolve try quickly into bloodshed, government inaction, and finally civil war.

Meanwhile awimb will continue as ever, one hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    You're totally wrong. There are no checks and balances. It's tribal. The republicans control all three branches, and now the "lefties," in order to have any chance at regaining power, are going to have to go on a rampage.
    Eh? So your choice loses an election and so you "have to" go on a rampage? What's wrong with waiting till the next election and winning that? Y'know, by perhaps picking a better candidate?

Anyway, the Republican establishment hate Trump as much as the Democrat establishment, don't they? So probably he doesn't actually control the houses at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    You're totally wrong. There are no checks and balances. It's tribal. The republicans control all three branches, and now the "lefties," in order to have any chance at regaining power, are going to have to go on a rampage. I believe that the "right," to counter this, will set up paramilitary organizations in defense of those three branches. Things are going to devolve try quickly into bloodshed, government inaction, and finally civil war.

Meanwhile awimb will continue as ever, one hopes.
    Have you been at the mushrooms again, ega?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    And I never said that anything other than the status quo was insane, I glibly suggested that voting for Trump was. That's rather different.
    Voting for Trump may well be insane, but on foreign policy, voting for Clinton is batshít crazy. More Iraqs. More Libyas. More Syrias. Perhaps next time against Russia. The Clinton Foundation enjoys massive donations from Saudi Arabia. Saudi fůcking Arabia, the epicentre of Islamist terrorism. She wants to aid Al Quaeda and ISIS in Syria by threatening war with Russia if it continue to support government forces. While Trump seeks to thaw relations with Russia and end US support for Saudi Arabia.

Trump well be some or all of the awful things he appears to be, but one of the things he does not appear to be is a member of the neocon/libhawk Washington endless war machine, with its madness of claiming to fight terrorism on one hand, while using the same terrorists as a regime-changing attack dog on the other while plunging countries into endless chaos.

And the funny thing is, the people who consider themselves so superior in intellect and knowledge to Trump's voters just don't seem to understand any of this. Like the posh young lady in the pub last night who was explaining to me that the reason people voted for Trump was because they were all morons who identified with him because he was a moron. Five minutes later she admitted to not having a clue where Angola was or even that there was a country of that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Voting for Trump may well be insane, but on foreign policy, voting for Clinton is batshít crazy. More Iraqs. More Libyas. More Syrias. Perhaps next time against Russia. The Clinton Foundation enjoys massive donations from Saudi Arabia. Saudi fůcking Arabia, the epicentre of Islamist terrorism. She wants to aid Al Quaeda and ISIS in Syria by threatening war with Russia if it continue to support government forces. While Trump seeks to thaw relations with Russia and end US support for Saudi Arabia.

Trump well be some or all of the awful things he appears to be, but one of the things he does not appear to be is a member of the neocon/libhawk Washington endless war machine, with its madness of claiming to fight terrorism on one hand, while using the same terrorists as a regime-changing attack dog on the other while plunging countries into endless chaos.

And the funny thing is, the people who consider themselves so superior in intellect and knowledge to Trump's voters just don't seem to understand any of this. Like the posh young lady in the pub last night who was explaining to me that the reason people voted for Trump was because they were all morons who identified with him because he was a moron. Five minutes later she admitted to not having a clue where Angola was or even that there was a country of that name.
    This is rather good, a

https://medium.com/@dizzy_thinks/con...cc1#.vwv3rc2kz

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He makes an interesting point about Leave being an identity-politics backlash, but I like to be optimistic that it was more of a positive expression of democratic than that. He's obviously spot on about the irony of people shouting "fascist" while seeking to reduce suffrage to only those with the correct opinions.

Excellent post sir. Anyone who could even consider voting for Clinton if they knew ANYTHING about what has been going on with her band of corruptables, the Foundation, her dreadful foreign policy and her immigration plans is beyond contempt. That's the thing though, these mainstream media brainwashed idiots don't know any of this.

He makes an interesting point about Leave being an identity-politics backlash, but I like to be optimistic that it was more of a positive expression of democratic than that.
    I think it's possible that it was both. I voted for it for good, democratic reasons, but the fact that it p1ssed off a lot of identity politics advocate whom I absolutely cannot stand was a significant bonus.

I haven't said anything about the intellect of Trump's voters. I judge Trump based on his actions and the things he has said. And using that as a barometer he is an intellectually superficial, mysoginistic, racist moron. And the idea that someone should vote for such an idiot because the alternative was 'status quo' strikes me as absurd.

And the only thing I've ever heard Trump say about Islamic extremism is that he will ban all Muslims (presumably some of whom believe in a secular democracy) from entering the US of A and that he wants to 'take out' ISIS. Not sure how Ash came to his conclusions re Trump's foreign policy given how little he's actually said about it.