Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fourth Place Trophy!!!

The Fourth Place Trophy!!!

It's on lads! It's on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    It's on lads! It's on!!!
    The season's finishing in November? Has the king died?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The season's finishing in November? Has the king died?
    How was the North? The missus showed me a picture of you up some mountain at some ungodly hour. I imagine there was a lot of that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    How was the North? The missus showed me a picture of you up some mountain at some ungodly hour. I imagine there was a lot of that sort of thing.
    It was perfectly marvellous, thank you. Bright and sunny for the majority of the time. There were many delicious tranches of excellent bacon.

Yes, we find walking up mountains is best commenced at around 7 a.m., before the brain and body have a chance to realise what they are in for. (For what they are in. )

We had some interesting off-piste moments, as well.

We're considering another trip in January.

It was perfectly marvellous, thank you. Bright and sunny for the majority of the time. There were many delicious tranches of excellent bacon.

Yes, we find walking up mountains is best commenced at around 7 a.m., before the brain and body have a chance to realise what they are in for. (For what they are in. )

We had some interesting off-piste moments, as well.

We're considering another trip in January.
    My strategy always used to be that, wherever you were going, you should end up at the turnaround point at about mid morning, since this meant that one would finish in time for the pubs to open and one could reward oneself with ale and pub grub.

My strategy always used to be that, wherever you were going, you should end up at the turnaround point at about mid morning, since this meant that one would finish in time for the pubs to open and one could reward oneself with ale and pub grub.
    We are of one mind in this matter. Walk from 7 until 12 or 1, a couple of pints and a plate fo carbs for lunch, then a short siesta to encourage muscle recovery.

I have, and I would admit this only to you, of course, taken to carrying a thermos of tea, so that en route we may pause for a nice cuppa, the first sip of which being greeted with a sigh of 'aah, lovely!'

I appear to have become 70 years old.

V told me last week of a chap in her office who had just booked a long weekend away. Having looked at Dorset and Devon and dismissed them as too far away, he was pleased to announce that he had decided upon Ware, because 'it's only 309 minutes from home.' This seems to me an excellent choice from a purely pragmatic point of view. One wonders whether Ware has attractions for the vacationer?

We are of one mind in this matter. Walk from 7 until 12 or 1, a couple of pints and a plate fo carbs for lunch, then a short siesta to encourage muscle recovery.

I have, and I would admit this only to you, of course, taken to carrying a thermos of tea, so that en route we may pause for a nice cuppa, the first sip of which being greeted with a sigh of 'aah, lovely!'

I appear to have become 70 years old.

V told me last week of a chap in her office who had just booked a long weekend away. Having looked at Dorset and Devon and dismissed them as too far away, he was pleased to announce that he had decided upon Ware, because 'it's only 309 minutes from home.' This seems to me an excellent choice from a purely pragmatic point of view. One wonders whether Ware has attractions for the vacationer?
    The problem is the consumption of tea. It is essentially a drink for OAPs and encourages OAP behaviour. You will be speaking enthusiastically of biscuits and 'a nice sit down' next.

Ware is a very nice place to live, but it is in essence a semi-rural market town. There are good villagey bits around it, some nice ancient woodland walks, and Hertford is a nice County town, but I can't say I would never think of it as a place for a weekend away.

The problem is the consumption of tea. It is essentially a drink for OAPs and encourages OAP behaviour. You will be speaking enthusiastically of biscuits and 'a nice sit down' next.

Ware is a very nice place to live, but it is in essence a semi-rural market town. There are good villagey bits around it, some nice ancient woodland walks, and Hertford is a nice County town, but I can't say I would never think of it as a place for a weekend away.
    I had a weekend away in Ware once.. it was spent at Hanbury Manor, so involved Golf and Spa... never got to see the town
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I had a weekend away in Ware once.. it was spent at Hanbury Manor, so involved Golf and Spa... never got to see the town
    Oh, yeah, but I suppose you could do that sort of thing anywhere there's a decent course and hotel. In terms of wanting to get out into the countryside, Ware isn't awfully adventurous.

That said, as someone who spent most of the first 40 years of his life in South London, I do still have weird, panicky moments when I suddenly realise I'm now sort of in the country and think "What the fùck am I doing here?"

Oh, yeah, but I suppose you could do that sort of thing anywhere there's a decent course and hotel. In terms of wanting to get out into the countryside, Ware isn't awfully adventurous.

That said, as someone who spent most of the first 40 years of his life in South London, I do still have weird, panicky moments when I suddenly realise I'm now sort of in the country and think "What the fùck am I doing here?"
    Try moving 600 miles south b. It's snowing today and people appear to be happy with it