Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know it’s curmudgeonly to point it out, but had Ozil passed up the chance to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Not really. The lob was clearly the best option on that occasion, but his execution let him down.
    I thought a facile comment would be fitting. If you ever found yourself in the position that Ozil did, with the skill Ozil has, you might reach a different conclusion, like Ozil did.

p.s. watch it again, he's at least thirty yards from goal with a ball having travelled a very long distance. Try that technique a few times and tell us it's the easy option. The Sunderland opportunity was probably easier in terms of ball spin etc, but still tricky enough to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    I thought a facile comment would be fitting. If you ever found yourself in the position that Ozil did, with the skill Ozil has, you might reach a different conclusion, like Ozil did.
    Of course, which is why I would not criticise him with any seriousness. But the fact is, once he'd lobbed the keeper, no skill was required to score the goal. All that was needed was a simple sidefoot finish into an empty net.

Why pass up the chance of a goal that requires no skill (and therefore no risk)? We know why, because he trusted himself to execute the skill that was required. The fact that his self-belief was vindicated does not change the fact that he chose the harder option.

Of course, which is why I would not criticise him with any seriousness. But the fact is, once he'd lobbed the keeper, no skill was required to score the goal. All that was needed was a simple sidefoot finish into an empty net.

Why pass up the chance of a goal that requires no skill (and therefore no risk)? We know why, because he trusted himself to execute the skill that was required. The fact that his self-belief was vindicated does not change the fact that he chose the harder option.
    Oh I see, you mean after he'd lobbed the keeper! I'll need to watch it again.

p.s. watch it again, he's at least thirty yards from goal with a ball having travelled a very long distance. Try that technique a few times and tell us it's the easy option. The Sunderland opportunity was probably easier in terms of ball spin etc, but still tricky enough to miss.
    Fair point.

Oh I see, you mean after he'd lobbed the keeper! I'll need to watch it again.
    Yes! I'm not suggesting he should have shot first time BEFORE beating the keeper!

See my following post. I've just watched it again and the moment the ball dropped out of the air he literally had an open goal about 15 yards away and could have passed it into the net. To risk being tackled by pulling the ball back was surely too big and he should have shot first time.
    Just because you are being perfectly reasonable, doesn't mean I can't call you a **** though, surely? I blame Özil for making me have a few more than intended last night - how's that for irony for the very Muslim lad

Hmm, not totally convinced. Firstly it was on his right foot, the defender was clearly committed to the lunge and might have made it. Not sure if he was aware of the second defender, but I'll assume he was.

If you actually did look at it again, it would have been an outside of the left foot shot with a dropping ball, so not an easy finish imo
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

immediately after knocking the ball over the keeper, only to be tackled by one of the retreating defenders, he’d be getting absolutely caned today by all quarters.

I’m sure people tell me that’s just human nature, but it’s still fu*king retarded.
    I thought I was a downer. But this is very odd Monty.
    Your moaning about things that didn't happen. Something you would destroy other fans for doing.