Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I know it’s curmudgeonly to point it out, but had Ozil passed up the chance to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Of course, which is why I would not criticise him with any seriousness. But the fact is, once he'd lobbed the keeper, no skill was required to score the goal. All that was needed was a simple sidefoot finish into an empty net.

Why pass up the chance of a goal that requires no skill (and therefore no risk)? We know why, because he trusted himself to execute the skill that was required. The fact that his self-belief was vindicated does not change the fact that he chose the harder option.
    I think it's all natural instinct from Ozil. He's so calm in situations like that, he was never going to rush the chance to finish. I don't think he even thinks like how you've described. It all happens in his own time.

Someone like Alan Shearer would have buried it the minute he's by the keeper. I don't think players have that much time to analyse the situations and play them out differently. Just players with different instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    I think it's all natural instinct from Ozil. He's so calm in situations like that, he was never going to rush the chance to finish. I don't think he even thinks like how you've described. It all happens in his own time.

Someone like Alan Shearer would have buried it the minute he's by the keeper. I don't think players have that much time to analyse the situations and play them out differently. Just players with different instincts.
    What would have Oxlade done?

[QUOTE=Pat Vegas;4134688]What would have Oxlade done? [/QUOT

Either tried to chip the advancing keeper and missed. Or once he rounded the keeper, panic and hit the post?

[QUOTE=Norn Iron;4134689]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    What would have Oxlade done? [/QUOT

Either tried to chip the advancing keeper and missed. Or once he rounded the keeper, panic and hit the post?
    I don't mean to be harsh but I would think the ball would have ended up nearer the corner flag.

I want him to come good though.

Actually, I've just rewatched it and am going to little bit contradict myself by saying it's quite amazing that he decided not to shoot straight away. As the ball dropped it would have been an awkward hit but with his technique and an open goal 10 yards away, it was surely the more sensible option given the risk of being tackled by one of the two retreating defenders.

Ozil = ****er
    I think that if the ball had been on his left after dinking it over the keeper/accountant then he would have taken it first time. However, his right foot appears to be fairly useless.

Nicely put, ni

immediately after knocking the ball over the keeper, only to be tackled by one of the retreating defenders, he’d be getting absolutely caned today by all quarters.

I’m sure people tell me that’s just human nature, but it’s still fu*king retarded.

could have, should have, would have. What's done is done. No point whining about it now.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

It worked because the defenders did exactly what he thought they were going to do. That was the chance he took. Not sure he could have shot straight away other than with his right, so what he did was almost certainly the right thing even if it took longer than most of the fans would have wished. But he is the best judge of what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    could have, should have, would have. What's done is done. No point whining about it now.

It rather nicely illustrated the difference between a proper goalscorer

and everybody else, those players who are ultimately judged by the number of goals they score and those players who aren't.

Even if Mesut never scores a goal, ever, his is still the first name on the teamsheet.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."