Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, I just don't know where to start with this it is so so so so wrong

Honestly, I just don't know where to start with this it is so so so so wrong

on so many levels.

Deep breaths, Burney, deep breaths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/37832754

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    on so many levels.

All too typical, I'm afraid. You can charge a man with discrimination for refusing to bake a cake, but if someone dares mock Islam in any sense they will be hung out to dry. The place has gone mad.

on so many levels.

In effect though the ban doesn't cause him any hardship as he is touring the country dancing.... should never have come to this though
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    In effect though the ban doesn't cause him any hardship as he is touring the country dancing.... should never have come to this though
    It came to this because British Gymnastics was either:
    a/ scared of rampant Allans going mental
    b/ Desperately wanting to virtue signal its zero tolerance of 'Islamophobia'
    or
    c/ Both

Whichever, it's a damn poor way to make any decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It came to this because British Gymnastics was either:
    a/ scared of rampant Allans going mental
    b/ Desperately wanting to virtue signal its zero tolerance of 'Islamophobia'
    or
    c/ Both

Whichever, it's a damn poor way to make any decision.
    I've never really understood the legalities surrounding a company or organisation of some kind being able to suspend or dismiss someone for something that isn't illegal. As an example, there are now states in America where you can legally purchase and smoke marijuana. Yet most, if not all, sports leagues drug test for marijuana and if caught you can be suspended from playing, thereby preventing you from earning a living even though you did nothing illegal.

Would the athlete win if he sued the league? Similarly, could Louis Smith sue UK Gymnastics given that he did nothing that was illegal?

I've never really understood the legalities surrounding a company or organisation of some kind being able to suspend or dismiss someone for something that isn't illegal. As an example, there are now states in America where you can legally purchase and smoke marijuana. Yet most, if not all, sports leagues drug test for marijuana and if caught you can be suspended from playing, thereby preventing you from earning a living even though you did nothing illegal.

Would the athlete win if he sued the league? Similarly, could Louis Smith sue UK Gymnastics given that he did nothing that was illegal?
    Your employer can make all sorts of stipulations about what you can and can't do in a contract and none of it need have anything to do with the law.

I would guess that most employers could sack someone if they deemed that they had doen something against company rules, doesn't have to be illegal.

He competes under gymnastics rules, same as all sportsmen, they have to abdide by the rules no matter how daft they might seem
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Like Nick Diaz originally banned for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I would guess that most employers could sack someone if they deemed that they had doen something against company rules, doesn't have to be illegal.

He competes under gymnastics rules, same as all sportsmen, they have to abdide by the rules no matter how daft they might seem
    Yup. Drinking's legal, but your employer has the right to institute alcohol testing and sack you if you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Your employer can make all sorts of stipulations about what you can and can't do in a contract and none of it need have anything to do with the law.
    I think that's a generalisation. Employers cannot put whatever they want in a contract, they are required to ensure that the contract does not contain restrictions which would limit certain personal freedoms, as an example. I expect that if Louis Smith took UK Gymnastics to court and said that they were preventing him from earning a living because he laughed at a joke, he would probably win, as would the NFL player who legally purchased and smoked marijuana yet was banned anyway.

I also expect that most people simply decide it isn't worth it, so nonsense like this ban slowly becomes acceptable.