Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I didn't realise that the rules had changed that made a dark yellow offence into

I didn't realise that the rules had changed that made a dark yellow offence into

a bright red.

Yet Graham Poll assures his Daily Mail readers that any foul with no chance of getting the ball is now a red card. We were widely told about the new guidelines around holding and dissent, but I don't remember hearing about this one.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Poll didn't say that, someone else did but I can't remember who. Poll said it was a dangerous challenge and serious foul play.
    Last edited by Ash; 10-17-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    a bright red.

Yet Graham Poll assures his Daily Mail readers that any foul with no chance of getting the ball is now a red card. We were widely told about the new guidelines around holding and dissent, but I don't remember hearing about this one.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Poll didn't say that, someone else did but I can't remember who. Poll said it was a dangerous challenge and serious foul play.
    I don't think it would be a bad law to introduce, to be honest. But before being enforced, it really should be, well, introduced, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I don't think it would be a bad law to introduce, to be honest. But before being enforced, it really should be, well, introduced, shouldn't it?
    I think Granit's biggest mistake was to not even pretend to be trying to get the ball. Had he dived in, he'd probably have got away with a yellow, whereas the sheer, naked cynicism of just ankle-tapping him clearly offended the ref's spirit of fairplay.

The players were told about it in the summer, according to the Ox so they can have no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think Granit's biggest mistake was to not even pretend to be trying to get the ball. Had he dived in, he'd probably have got away with a yellow, whereas the sheer, naked cynicism of just ankle-tapping him clearly offended the ref's spirit of fairplay.
    Quite funny none the less *

*I didn't find it funny at the time obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    The players were told about it in the summer, according to the Ox so they can have no complaints
    Really? Was this information released to the general public? How odd that we didn't know about it.

Really? Was this information released to the general public? How odd that we didn't know about it.
    More than odd. Bloody bizarre. Does any other sport on earth change the rules and then not bother informing its paying customers?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    More than odd. Bloody bizarre. Does any other sport on earth change the rules and then not bother informing its paying customers?
    I would suggest the rules of the game are readily available online
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I would suggest the rules of the game are readily available online
    Guidelines might not be though. Also, a bit of "what's new" publicity doesn't do any harm, and they managed to tell us about the clampdown on holding and dissent.

So ner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Guidelines might not be though. Also, a bit of "what's new" publicity doesn't do any harm, and they managed to tell us about the clampdown on holding and dissent.

So ner.
    I was only going on the fact I coach a junior team so get told all the rule changes every summer
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar