Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Least surprising news of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    :sigh: Headbutting another yob in a kebab shop?

If you start making these judgements, you allow others to make such judgements, and you might not like how others judge. Especially when they start judging you.
    We can't help ourselves though, it's only natural. If one is not directly concerned in these matters, it's all just harmless banter and gossip with no consequences.

I always thought the initial verdict was harsh and wrong, but didn't think the charges were made with any particular malicious intent; I'm perfectly prepared to believe that young dolly felt she had been raped and maybe she always will.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Rich white men? The patriarchy? All men are rapists? All PIV is rape? That sort of thing? We could ask Suzanne Moore.

Mock all you like, but there's a serious question there. The problem is that the more ridiculous Guardian types make it too easy to dismiss as just another petty SJW whinge.

Sometimes - just sometimes - it's OK to be on the same side as Suzanne Moore.

There. I've said it.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    We can't help ourselves though, it's only natural. If one is not directly concerned in these matters, it's all just harmless banter and gossip with no consequences.

I always thought the initial verdict was harsh and wrong, but didn't think the charges were made with any particular malicious intent; I'm perfectly prepared to believe that young dolly felt she had been raped and maybe she always will.
    Quite. And some people would do well to remember that the law tests guilt, it does not prove innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Mock all you like, but there's a serious question there. The problem is that the more ridiculous Guardian types make it too easy to dismiss as just another petty SJW whinge.

Sometimes - just sometimes - it's OK to be on the same side as Suzanne Moore.

There. I've said it.
    I'm not in the least surprised. You've always had this penchant for outrageous, deafening holier-than-thousim.

How well i remember you leading the calls for poor Ron's head to roll.

Well, when the daddy and the mummy love each other very much, sometimes daddy's winky goes stiff and he puts it in mummy's secret pocket and they have a special cuddle, see? And then baby Jesus brings a tiny new baby to the family.

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013...lways-rape-ok/
    So, that's where I've been going wrong.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

I'm not in the least surprised. You've always had this penchant for outrageous, deafening holier-than-thousim.

How well i remember you leading the calls for poor Ron's head to roll.
    I'm not having that. You can't tar me with the Harvey brush while pretending you're Mr Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged.

Well actually, for quite a long time, the case was not before the courts, he was simply preparing to appeal his conviction - not the same thing.

The furore, as I recall, arose when it emerged that Sheffield United were planning to take him back on their books. And you have admitted you didn't think that would have been the right thing to do. Only the most extreme voices were calling for him never to work in football again.
    Besides, by saying that you think not employing him when he'd been found guilty was the right thing to do, you are essentially saying that, had his conviction been upheld today, it would have been correct never to employ him in football again.
    It is those most extreme voices that I was referring to, Henry Winter as an example.

And there is a logical flaw in your last paragraph. Saying that no decision should be taken until the judicial process is complete does not preclude the possibility of offering him a position once it is complete, regardless of the outcome. If he is found innocent, there is clearly no issue whatsoever, if he is found guilty then the club would have a decision to take.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    It is those most extreme voices that I was referring to, Henry Winter as an example.

And there is a logical flaw in your last paragraph. Saying that no decision should be taken until the judicial process is complete does not preclude the possibility of offering him a position once it is complete, regardless of the outcome. If he is found innocent, there is clearly no issue whatsoever, if he is found guilty then the club would have a decision to take.
    No, sorry, but if your reason for not employing him is that there is a question of guilt hanging over him, there can be no possible excuse for then employing him when his guilt is proved once again. That's a total nonsense.

Quite. And some people would do well to remember that the law tests guilt, it does not prove innocence.
    Of course, and public opinion and underlying attitudes are always gong to impact these things. No doubt that poor young woman now knows very well that prison ain't the only place they can send you to suffer. Young Ched too can expect a warm, hearty welcome at Elland Road or wherever on any future visits.

Unless she *is* actually a lying slag, of course.

No, sorry, but if your reason for not employing him is that there is a question of guilt hanging over him, there can be no possible excuse for then employing him when his guilt is proved once again. That's a total nonsense.
    Anyway, he'd be in jail, wouldn't he.