Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Least surprising news of the year

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    True. But either way it was always a decision which seemed to me to be very unclear, it could have gone either way as what is or is not, consent, is rather nebulous.

Given that, I was shocked at how vehement the condemnation of young Chad was given that an appeal process was underway and he seemed to have a very strong argument. It's almost as though some small-minded muppets quite liked the chance to jump up on their soapbox and come across all holier than thou.
    I think it's more that he was one of the few high-profile(ish) footballers to actually be convicted of rape in this type of case, which meant he became the go-to case when people wanted to condemn the extremely dubious sexual attitudes and behaviours that appear to exist among some footballers.

Personally, I would be extremely wary of anyone who chooses to get on their high horse in his defence, since I suspect their agenda quite as much as I suspect the agendas of those who lined up to condemn someone who was, in fairness, a convicted rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    The Guardian are already pretty much saying the retrial was weighted in his favour
    They're pretty much dismissing the verdict. Maniacs.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Ched Evans, not guilty
    Are we now allowed to call his accuser a lying slag without getting told off by feminists?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Are we now allowed to call his accuser a lying slag without getting told off by feminists?
    Not really, no. Him being found not guilty does not axiomatically make her a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Or perhaps he had been found guilty and they thought it was OK to comment... seeing as he served 2 1/2 yrs for this I don't think his defence was that clear cut to begin with.

Good luck to him, still shocked his g/f stood by him no matter what he had done
    I think his defence was very clear cut, he always said that she consented. Given that he always denied his guilt, that he had a reasonable defence, that the consent aspect of any rape conviction is a difficult one to prove and that an appeal process was underway; if I was going to 'comment' I would have held back a little on the sanctimony.

Many did. Many others did not. The latter now look a right set of muppets imo. I'm thinking primarily of those people who openly petitioned for him to not be signed by a professional football club even though his appeal was underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think it's more that he was one of the few high-profile(ish) footballers to actually be convicted of rape in this type of case, which meant he became the go-to case when people wanted to condemn the extremely dubious sexual attitudes and behaviours that appear to exist among some footballers.

Personally, I would be extremely wary of anyone who chooses to get on their high horse in his defence, since I suspect their agenda quite as much as I suspect the agendas of those who lined up to condemn someone who was, in fairness, a convicted rapist.
    What about if that agenda is condemning the escalating trend of false rape accusations?

Not really, no. Him being found not guilty does not axiomatically make her a liar.
    Of course. But where would your money be?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I think his defence was very clear cut, he always said that she consented. Given that he always denied his guilt, that he had a reasonable defence, that the consent aspect of any rape conviction is a difficult one to prove and that an appeal process was underway; if I was going to 'comment' I would have held back a little on the sanctimony.

Many did. Many others did not. The latter now look a right set of muppets imo. I'm thinking primarily of those people who openly petitioned for him to not be signed by a professional football club even though his appeal was underway.
    Well until recently he was a convicted rapist... so not wanting your FC to sign him seems a normal thing to me.... would your company be happt to employ a convicted rapist if he was out on appeal?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

What do you think is the agenda of those who defend him, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Of course. But where would your money be?
    I should probably add here that even if Evans' version of events is entirely true, I still consider that type of behaviour reprehensible.