Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This weekend, I made a massive steak and kidney pie.

This weekend, I made a massive steak and kidney pie.

It was excellent and made me realise that there is no point to any beef stew or pie filling that does not contain kidney since such a thing can only ever be second rate.

My tip for those who do not like the texture of stewed kidney (of whom I am one), is to essentially reduce the kidney to a paste through repeated chopping and then add said paste to the mixture. This way you get the splendid flavour without the business of chewing your way through kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It was excellent and made me realise that there is no point to any beef stew or pie filling that does not contain kidney since such a thing can only ever be second rate.

My tip for those who do not like the texture of stewed kidney (of whom I am one), is to essentially reduce the kidney to a paste through repeated chopping and then add said paste to the mixture. This way you get the splendid flavour without the business of chewing your way through kidney.
    I have been contemplating making a beef wellington soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    It's a tricky thing to get right, since the pastry insulates the meat and makes assessing the correct cooking time difficult - particularly with a large beef fillet. I would be tempted to make two smaller ones if you can.

It's a tricky thing to get right, since the pastry insulates the meat and makes assessing the correct cooking time difficult - particularly with a large beef fillet. I would be tempted to make two smaller ones if you can.
    I want to perfect a few dishes before Christmas arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Threadjack: You have PM.

Kidney

The only thing I want in my steak pie is ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Kidney

The only thing I want in my steak pie is ale.
    You, sir, are wrong. The noble kidney imparts a glorious savoury tang that a mere steak and ale cannot hope to match. I will happily eat a steak and ale pie, but all the while I will be wishing it had the flavour of kidney in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Threadjack: You have PM.

apart from the PM notifications I also miss that on the old Awimb you could change your user name whenever you wanted it.
    Not for deceptive purposes but you could change it according to current affairs. Like the time the whole board went German.

I attended a hangi - not a hanging as Safari would like me to put.

http://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/maori-hangi/

Who could have thought New Zealand cuisine could taste so good. Cheap beer and rather too much vodka was had as well

You, sir, are wrong. The noble kidney imparts a glorious savoury tang that a mere steak and ale cannot hope to match. I will happily eat a steak and ale pie, but all the while I will be wishing it had the flavour of kidney in it.
    Isn't that 'tang' as you describe it basically the taste of wee-wee?