Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet again, I have been accused of being phenomenally middle class

Yet again, I have been accused of being phenomenally middle class

how does a chap tell?

What I do? What I earn? What my parents did? Where I went to school?

21 years after moving to this country and still fail to understand what is left of the class system, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    how does a chap tell?

21 years after moving to this country and still fail to understand what is left of the class system, I'm afraid.
    Let's ignore it brother. I am commoner according to this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Let's ignore it brother. I am commoner according to this place.
    It's much easier back home, Pat.

It's all about the $$$

how does a chap tell?

You have no place in the British class system, being foreign. You might be considered an honorary nouveau-riche arriviste at best, but in general grubby foreigners rank somewhere below dole-scroungers in the British hierarchy.

And quite rightly so, if I may make so bold as to venture an opinion. My right to do so being arguable, given that I am quite foreign myself.

It's much easier back home, Pat.

It's all about the $$$
    My cousin and her soon to be husband were in London this week for the first time.
    They seemed to love the fact we could drink outside the pub.

Also it seems everyone in my family in Canada either works as an accountant or be a carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You might be considered an honorary nouveau-riche arriviste
    Ooh I quite like that. Sounds rather more sophisticated than moose shagger or beaver botherer.

I'll take it. Cheers.

Ooh I quite like that. Sounds rather more sophisticated than moose shagger or beaver botherer.

I'll take it. Cheers.
    Should I apply for a British Passport with all this Brexit stuff?

how does a chap tell?

It really is terribly complicated. Basically there are several class templates that all overlay each other, allowing one to exist in various classes simultaneously.

For example, a good friend of mine enjoys at times the profile of a terribly proud, gritty, working class northener (especially when drunk) but is equally happy to play the middle-class southerner when proving his urbane, cosmopolitan pro-EU credentials when he needs to impress his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It really is terribly complicated. Basically there are several class templates that all overlay each other, allowing one to exist in various classes simultaneously.

For example, a good friend of mine enjoys at times the profile of a terribly proud, gritty, working class northener (especially when drunk) but is equally happy to play the middle-class southerner when proving his urbane, cosmopolitan pro-EU credentials when he needs to impress his peers.
    Ah Ash I was listening to some interesting history of unions in America, radio programme
    I find it fascinating the anti communism sentiment over there yet a large majority are pro unions. They go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You have no place in the British class system, being foreign. You might be considered an honorary nouveau-riche arriviste at best, but in general grubby foreigners rank somewhere below dole-scroungers in the British hierarchy.

And quite rightly so, if I may make so bold as to venture an opinion. My right to do so being arguable, given that I am quite foreign myself.
    Yes. You have a foreign name of course, that, while it adds a certain mystique, also makes it quite clear you're a clogwog. If it weren't for that - and some odd culinary habits - you could pass.
    Last edited by Burney; 10-06-2016 at 02:20 PM.