Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of course, all this bung business does suggest another reason why AW is always in the

Of course, all this bung business does suggest another reason why AW is always in the

firing line from the punditocracy of British ex managers and players. After all, in a world where everyone's on the take, everyone hates the guy who isn't, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    firing line from the punditocracy of British ex managers and players. After all, in a world where everyone's on the take, everyone hates the guy who isn't, don't they?

Though he is best buddies with Dodgy David Dein

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Exactly so, 7. 'Many of his fellow officers considered him the most dangerous man alive - an honest cop'

Fits AW to a tee imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Though he is best buddies with Dodgy David Dein
    Yes, but - and I know it doesn't do to idealise people - I simply cannot imagine AW taking a bung. He is one of life's natural ascetics.

Oh, I'm sure He *is*, at least by the standards of this latest kerfuffle anyway. He'd be hard for anyone to pin down though as the circle of people He deals with wouldn't be within Fleet Street's sphere (nobody else does investigative reporting like they can).

Also He's certainly disciplined enough not to mouth off in front of people who haven't been fairly conclusively vetted.

Excellent fellow. Discretion is His watchword.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Oh, I'm sure He *is*, at least by the standards of this latest kerfuffle anyway. He'd be hard for anyone to pin down though as the circle of people He deals with wouldn't be within Fleet Street's sphere (nobody else does investigative reporting like they can).

Also He's certainly disciplined enough not to mouth off in front of people who haven't been fairly conclusively vetted.

Excellent fellow. Discretion is His watchword.
    I certainly think he's far too clever to compromise his extremely well-paid position by taking one-off bungs of relatively piddling sums.

I think that's the most repellent aspect of it - most of these chaps are extremely well-remunerated, but cannot resist the allure of 'free' cash and will happily beg and wheedle for relative scraps.

I certainly think he's far too clever to compromise his extremely well-paid position by taking one-off bungs of relatively piddling sums.

I think that's the most repellent aspect of it - most of these chaps are extremely well-remunerated, but cannot resist the allure of 'free' cash and will happily beg and wheedle for relative scraps.
    Mind you, I think we can all agree that nothing feels quite as satisfying as a large bundle of cash of which the Revenue know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Mind you, I think we can all agree that nothing feels quite as satisfying as a large bundle of cash of which the Revenue know nothing.
    Sure, but to beg for it in the way the agent suggests? Ugh!

It's not about the money. It's the need to be seen to be a bigshot, a mover and a shaker, a someone. Of course, as the success of that project will be indeed measured in cash, that's the thing people can focus on.

People behave the way they behave because that's the way they behave. A hound doesn't stop chasing after hare just because he has a tin of Chunky Lumps at home, does he.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."