Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Is everyone getting excited about the greatest sporting event known to mankind?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oh, I'm not defending golfers' athleticism. Just saw a context for bantering off Monty P's all-round game.
    Having now met the chap twice, I feel rather defensive of poor old Monts. Could have done with being an Allan, really. At least it would have kept him off the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, Warne had periods where he was overweight. He could do this, though.

Attachment 300

He also regularly faced a hard ball coming at him at 90mph scored over 3,000 runs, bowled over 40,000 balls, took 700 wickets and 125 catches at Test level alone.

Golfers, meanwhile - even the best of them - just hit a stationary object.
    I would suggest that to reduce hitting a golf ball the required distance and the required line over and over again to 'just hit a stationary object' is so misleading that you either have a bias or know nothing about golf.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I would suggest that to reduce hitting a golf ball the required distance and the required line over and over again to 'just hit a stationary object' is so misleading that you either have a bias or know nothing about golf.
    I'm not saying it's not highly skilful, simply that there's little or no athleticism involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm not saying it's not highly skilful, simply that there's little or no athleticism involved.
    Well this has been reduced down to an argument about what constitutes athleticism. You seem to have a very narrow definition.

In order to be a competitive golfer you need outstanding hand eye coordination, balance, flexibility and quickness in order to generate the required club head speed and keep the club face square to the ball.

I think most people would think that all of those attributes constitute part of athleticism. And anyone who doesn't consider golf a sport is in the very small minority, I think.

You hardly expect people on here to agree with something you have a view on wes do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lar d'Arse View Post
    You hardly expect people on here to agree with something you have a view on wes do you?
    we are agee with u