Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Someone pointed me at this article on the Brexit business. It's rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Yes, we fundamentally disagree on that point. And I think it is entirely relevant and sensible to consider the fact that people under 55 voted to Remain. I think that fact is inconsistent with your viewpoint.
    I'm under 55. I didn't vote to Remain. In fact, plenty of people I know under 55 didn't. It's not quite as cut and dried as you suggest.

As that article points out, this country has always been ambivalent at best towards the EU. It has certainly never held any affection for it and there was plenty of outright hatred. It was at best occasionally convenient. Hardly a surprise, then, that when given the option, people voted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    17.5 million people defied the instruction of the national, financial, capitalist, continental and even global elite. The three main parties, 80-odd percent of MPs, the CBI, IMF, ECB, European Commision, POTUS, Goldman Sachs et al, academia, celebdom, and most of the media pounded home the message. The result - more people voted to leave the EU than have ever voted for anything in British political history. And the elite weren't expecting it. Oh, and polls are saying that there is little 'buyers remorse', and despite the social ostracism, we'd do it again tomorrow, not because we're stupid, but because we don't believe in the EU and just want to be a normal democratic and self-governing country like Norway, Canada, Japan, new Zealand or India.
    As I said to Burney, I find your representation of the mood of the country as a whole to be inconsistent with the fact that people under the age of 55 voted Remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    17.5 million people defied the instruction of the national, financial, capitalist, continental and even global elite. The three main parties, 80-odd percent of MPs, the CBI, IMF, ECB, European Commision, POTUS, Goldman Sachs et al, academia, celebdom, and most of the media pounded home the message. The result - more people voted to leave the EU than have ever voted for anything in British political history. And the elite weren't expecting it. Oh, and polls are saying that there is little 'buyers remorse', and despite the social ostracism, we'd do it again tomorrow, not because we're stupid, but because we don't believe in the EU and just want to be a normal democratic and self-governing country like Norway, Canada, Japan, new Zealand or India.
    Yes. I'm rather proud of us, really. It's quite restored my faith in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm under 55. I didn't vote to Remain. In fact, plenty of people I know under 55 didn't. It's not quite as cut and dried as you suggest.
    Eh? Where did I say that 'everyone' under 55 voted to Remain?

It is a statistical fact that had the vote been restricted to people under 55 it would have been a strong Remain vote. That doesn't invalidate the result, but it suggests that the view that the country as a whole had had enough of the EU and strongly rejected all that it stood for is inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Eh? Where did I say that 'everyone' under 55 voted to Remain?

It is a statistical fact that had the vote been restricted to people under 55 it would have been a strong Remain vote. That doesn't invalidate the result, but it suggests that the view that the country as a whole had had enough of the EU and strongly rejected all that it stood for is inaccurate.
    And I've never claimed the whole country felt any way in particular. If it did, we wouldn't have needed a referendum. However, this is a democracy, where the majority opinion wins and the country has spoken.
    In fact, my point was that many of those who voted Remain were so cut off from their fellow countrymen that they were amazed to find that there was a country out there that didn't agree with them, wasn't prepared to do as it was told and was prepared to defy their supposed betters and vote Leave. Their shock at being defied has led them to cut up pretty nasty.