Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plenty to look forward to for the keen amateur military historian.

Plenty to look forward to for the keen amateur military historian.

Anthropoid will soon be available on DVD, and next year we will have Dunkirk, hHhhhHHHHh, and Journey's End.

Terrific stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Anthropoid will soon be available on DVD, and next year we will have Dunkirk, hHhhhHHHHh, and Journey's End.

Terrific stuff.
    Fück that.

It was the centenary of the first use of tanks 5 days back. Much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Fück that.

It was the centenary of the first use of tanks 5 days back. Much more fun.
    Oh it was, it was indeed.

I once spent a quite memorable afternoon at the tank museum at Bovingdon. A wonderful collection.

Journey's End? You mean the old RC Sheriff chestnut?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Journey's End? You mean the old RC Sheriff chestnut?
    Yes, that one.

I've seen the play a couple of times but never a film... there's not much action, I suppose.

Dunno. Wasn't there an old film of it with Gary Cooper?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Dunno. Wasn't there an old film of it with Gary Cooper?
    Gary Cooper? Was it set in Dodge City? You can't have bloody Americans playing English officers, for God's sake!

When you and V did SE Asia, did you do Vietnam? And was there much to see on the military history front?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    When you and V did SE Asia, did you do Vietnam? And was there much to see on the military history front?
    One can never be said to have 'done' SE Asia; one's exploration of the area is an ongoing, endless pleasure.

Yes, we have been to the 'Nam a couple of times, actually. There is lots and lots to see of a military nature, although the presentation is, shall we say, less than balanced. Indeed the mendaciousness of the propaganda is so apparent as to have one's guides roll their eyes as they churn out the approved script.

I hired a car and driver for a few days once and the guy turned out to have been an interpreter embedded with US forces. At the end of the war he spent 20 years in a re-education camp...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    One can never be said to have 'done' SE Asia; one's exploration of the area is an ongoing, endless pleasure.

Yes, we have been to the 'Nam a couple of times, actually. There is lots and lots to see of a military nature, although the presentation is, shall we say, less than balanced. Indeed the mendaciousness of the propaganda is so apparent as to have one's guides roll their eyes as they churn out the approved script.

I hired a car and driver for a few days once and the guy turned out to have been an interpreter embedded with US forces. At the end of the war he spent 20 years in a re-education camp...
    Ah very good, it is right at the top of my list.

And the banh mi in Vietnam? It is only a question of how superb, I'm sure.