Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: And to think they say that South Africans aren't very nice people...

And to think they say that South Africans aren't very nice people...

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I would say the Saffa did exactly the right thing - there are medical people there to help out racers in distress. Not his job - and the video clearly showed someone else helping Brownlee before his brother intervened.

My favourite was the Spanish team wanted the brothers disqualified even though their boy won the overall championship anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I would say the Saffa did exactly the right thing - there are medical people there to help out racers in distress. Not his job - and the video clearly showed someone else helping Brownlee before his brother intervened.

My favourite was the Spanish team wanted the brothers disqualified even though their boy won the overall championship anyway
    Oh, I agree. It looked like a bit of Rolf Harris-esque virtue-signalling to me. Besides which, it's probably more important that he gets immediate medical attention than that he crosses the line, you'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

I think it's the Saffa's celebration at the end that grates.

As I mentioned on Twitter yesterday, Spitting Image got it right years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I think it's the Saffa's celebration at the end that grates.

As I mentioned on Twitter yesterday, Spitting Image got it right years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY
    Sure, but it's a bit much to ask a chap to win a race and not celebrate. More pertinently, the chap's mechanism had clearly gone some time previous to this and his body was clearly shutting down. Surely someone should have been there to stop him killing himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sure, but it's a bit much to ask a chap to win a race and not celebrate. More pertinently, the chap's mechanism had clearly gone some time previous to this and his body was clearly shutting down. Surely someone should have been there to stop him killing himself?
    A bit of contrition for his fellow athlete woudn't have gone a miss, especially as for his misfortune he wouldn't have won either the race or the whole championship