Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: This Gascoigne business gets worse. Sounds like the security guard about whom the

This Gascoigne business gets worse. Sounds like the security guard about whom the

joke was made didn't make a complaint and wasn't a witness. Sounds like a third party complained and the police and CPS ran with it, while Gascoigne's lawyer told him to plead guilty rather than fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    joke was made didn't make a complaint and wasn't a witness. Sounds like a third party complained and the police and CPS ran with it, while Gascoigne's lawyer told him to plead guilty rather than fight it.
    Where have you been, Burnley? No harm has to have been done for a racism to be deemed to have taken place. All that needs to happen is for someone to complain that somebody, somewhere might have been offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Where have you been, Burnley? No harm has to have been done for a racism to be deemed to have taken place. All that needs to happen is for someone to complain that somebody, somewhere might have been offended.
    Somebody has to do something about this sort of shít, don't they? We can't carry on like this.

Somebody has to do something about this sort of shít, don't they? We can't carry on like this.
    I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but the day you and everyone else reacted like fúcking princesses who'd been interefered with because BFR made a slip of the microphone, I told you we'd end up here. I got shouted down by your whole generation of virtue-signalling snowflakes.

You're 10 years late to this party.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but the day you and everyone else reacted like fúcking princesses who'd been interefered with because BFR made a slip of the microphone, I told you we'd end up here. I got shouted down by your whole generation of virtue-signalling snowflakes.

You're 10 years late to this party.
    Alright, Cassandra, less of the told-you-so, thanks.

Besides, I think it's a bit of a leap from saying that it is probably right that a presenter on a national broadcaster who is caught referring to a widely-respected footballer as 'a fùcking thick lazy nígger' be sacked to saying that someone who makes a joke that is very mildly racial in nature ought to be prosecuted. All a bit post hoc ergo propter hoc, wouldn't you say?

Alright, Cassandra, less of the told-you-so, thanks.

Besides, I think it's a bit of a leap from saying that it is probably right that a presenter on a national broadcaster who is caught referring to a widely-respected footballer as 'a fùcking thick lazy nígger' be sacked to saying that someone who makes a joke that is very mildly racial in nature ought to be prosecuted. All a bit post hoc ergo propter hoc, wouldn't you say?
    He never said dem fings.

He suggested that the player in question might be referred to in some quarters as {terrible words redacted}. He wasn't calling him that himself. And he did more for black footballers than the society of black lawyers will ever do. Fact. Well, opinion, at least.

He never said dem fings.

He suggested that the player in question might be referred to in some quarters as {terrible words redacted}. He wasn't calling him that himself. And he did more for black footballers than the society of black lawyers will ever do. Fact. Well, opinion, at least.
    My recollection was that he said 'that Desailly is a right lazy <racial slur>'

And if I'm honest, and as much as I miss Ron, that probably does merit the sack. We can't on the one hand criticise the racism our black players experience in parts of Spain and Eastern Europe (to use but two examples) and then claim that a statement like that can just be shrugged off.

He never said dem fings.

But for him to use those terms suggests that one of the quarters in which Desailly would be known as such was in his own head.

Also, I'm not sure that employing talented black people and making money out of them exactly makes you Marcus Garvey.

You have to feel for BFR after losing his job and then his son Dalian.

But for him to use those terms suggests that one of the quarters in which Desailly would be known as such was in his own head.

Also, I'm not sure that employing talented black people and making money out of them exactly makes you Marcus Garvey.
    At a time when the racist consensus was that black players couldn't cut it on a wet wednesday in Stoke, he refused to believe the lies, treated them as equals, trusted them, and sent them out to play. Calling them the three degrees might not have been great PR, in retrospect, but they succeeded and it helped open the door for so many black players to make careers and fortunes in the decades to follow.

It shows the difference between language and action. He might have used racist language, but his actions were to treat people equally, and to be one of the first to do so.