Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can everyone now stop being horrible about poor Theo?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Out of interest, can anyone think of a single player who's confidence was destroyed by the Emirates crowd? Or even Highbury's, for that matter?

If a player's confidence is 'destroyed' by the crowd I'd suggest that they never had the *******s needed to be a professional footballer in the first place.
    That's the spirit. Kick 'em when they're down especially hard so they can prove they're worthy of your support.

You can't see how your attitude is counter-productive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Before that, I mean, While he still played for us.
    I know exactly what you meant. He disappeared to our youth team and then to Pulis' bench. I think we missed out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    He rushed that - should have taken a touch
    At Arsenal he would have been told to play a backpass

That's the spirit. Kick 'em when they're down especially hard so they can prove they're worthy of your support.

You can't see how your attitude is counter-productive?
    When I could be bothered going to games, I always supported the team in the stadium. Even Aaron Ramsey. As did 99% of the supporters around me.

I just don't really buy the idea that supporters would destroy the confidence of a player with the ability and mental fortitude required to be even a half decent professional footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Out of interest, can anyone think of a single player who's confidence was destroyed by the Emirates crowd? Or even Highbury's, for that matter?

If a player's confidence is 'destroyed' by the crowd I'd suggest that they never had the *******s needed to be a professional footballer in the first place.
    There was a chap in the 30s - I forget his name - whose confidence was shattered by the grumblies. "They hate me!" he observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    There was a chap in the 30s - I forget his name - whose confidence was shattered by the grumblies. "They hate me!" he observed.
    Who was the Scottish lad in the 70s? Can't remember his name. He was going to be the next Big Thing. But the East Stand famously destroyed him.

Who was the Scottish lad in the 70s? Can't remember his name. He was going to be the next Big Thing. But the East Stand famously destroyed him.
    Peter Marinello.

I may have said some uncomplimentary things about Willie Young from the West Lower, but I doubt that's who you were thinking of. He was a Big Thing in some respects though. As in Big Lump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I may have said some uncomplimentary things about Willie Young from the West Lower, but I doubt that's who you were thinking of. He was a Big Thing in some respects though. As in Big Lump.
    Peter Marinello!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Peter Marinello.
    ty m. Just came to me. I never saw him, he was just before my time.