Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: LA & SW - I don’t think I ever suggested Wenger has been “dictated to” by Ospina.

LA & SW - I don’t think I ever suggested Wenger has been “dictated to” by Ospina.

But surely it’s a reasonable assumption that Wenger’s decision to give him games in the CL was influenced by wanting to keep him happy? Otherwise, what do you suppose Wenger meant by the following?

"If they do not play, you can't keep two world-class goalkeepers."

If this is not about keeping both of your goalkeepers happy, then what else is it about? What is to stop him having two world class goalkeepers and only ever playing one of them, if not keeping them both happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But surely it’s a reasonable assumption that Wenger’s decision to give him games in the CL was influenced by wanting to keep him happy? Otherwise, what do you suppose Wenger meant by the following?

If this is not about keeping both of your goalkeepers happy, then what else is it about? What is to stop him having two world class goalkeepers and only ever playing one of them, if not keeping them both happy?
    I don't get why some players are so eager to play. I'd like to do as little as possible as long as I am getting paid.

To quote your original post - "So reading between the lines of Wenger’s comments I assume that Ospina said he’d only stay if he got to play in the Champions League/domestic cup games".

Kind of sounds like an ultimatum to me, and if an ultimatum is not a person dictating to another then I am a Chinaman, as such.

Ultimately Ospina going or staying is a call made by AW given the player is under contract. Perhaps, allied with a need to keep players active and involved, there has been elements of Cech's play which has concerned the manager and as such he decided to give Ospina a run.

Perhaps Ospina has been flying in training, we both know how you have taken this line in the past.

Perhaps, as you have said, he is the designated cup keeper.

I never said you did I really don't know why you are going on and on about it or what you are trying to prove. He did say that, he also said he reserved the right to change his position

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    To quote your original post - "So reading between the lines of Wenger’s comments I assume that Ospina said he’d only stay if he got to play in the Champions League/domestic cup games".

Kind of sounds like an ultimatum to me, and if an ultimatum is not a person dictating to another then I am a Chinaman, as such.

Ultimately Ospina going or staying is a call made by AW given the player is under contract. Perhaps, allied with a need to keep players active and involved, there has been elements of Cech's play which has concerned the manager and as such he decided to give Ospina a run.

Perhaps Ospina has been flying in training, we both know how you have taken this line in the past.

Perhaps, as you have said, he is the designated cup keeper.
    "I have the advantage of seeing both players in training - I know how good they are."

"We have a rule that the keepers know. It’s important to have clear rules like that. They know what the rules are for the season. If they change, I'll tell them.

“It's down to performances. On what he delivered tonight, he has the right to stay in the team for the next Champions League game (at home to Basel in a fortnight).”

"I have the advantage of seeing both players in training - I know how good they are."

"We have a rule that the keepers know. It’s important to have clear rules like that. They know what the rules are for the season. If they change, I'll tell them.

“It's down to performances. On what he delivered tonight, he has the right to stay in the team for the next Champions League game (at home to Basel in a fortnight).”
    So it’s down to form?

Almost as if the manager will choose a team on a game by game basis.

As per LA I am a little unsure why we are still discussing this.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    So it’s down to form?

Almost as if the manager will choose a team on a game by game basis.

As per LA I am a little unsure why we are still discussing this.
    We're still discussing it because I still think you're very wrong, as demonstrated by your last comment:

"Almost as if the manager will choose a team on a game by game basis."

By this you still seem to be suggesting that Ospina playing on Tuesday was no indication that any arrangement is in place for him to play in CL games this season, and he just as well could have played against Southampton last weekend or Hull this Saturday.

This is despite Wenger's quotes alluding to that exact arrangement:

“We have a rule that the keepers know,” Wenger said. “It's important to have clear rules like that. They know what the rules are for the season. If they change, I will tell them. It's down to performances. On what he delivered tonight, he has the right to stay in the team for the next Champions League game.”

We're still discussing it because I still think you're very wrong, as demonstrated by your last comment:

"Almost as if the manager will choose a team on a game by game basis."

By this you still seem to be suggesting that Ospina playing on Tuesday was no indication that any arrangement is in place for him to play in CL games this season, and he just as well could have played against Southampton last weekend or Hull this Saturday.

This is despite Wenger's quotes alluding to that exact arrangement:

“We have a rule that the keepers know,” Wenger said. “It's important to have clear rules like that. They know what the rules are for the season. If they change, I will tell them. It's down to performances. On what he delivered tonight, he has the right to stay in the team for the next Champions League game.”
    No, you just like to read too much into things - quite pointless really