Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chops

Chops

I had mutton chops last night & they were far more flavoursome than lamb & at half the price. Why do you not see these in many butchers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Gooner View Post
    I had mutton chops last night & they were far more flavoursome than lamb & at half the price. Why do you not see these in many butchers?
    Because people mistakingly believe that lamb is more tender than mutton which, provided you cook it correctly, is patently untrue.

But chops aren't actually that good, are they? They're simple to cook but ultimately mostly disappointing. With the possible exception of these f*ck off huge veal chops I used to get in NY which when pan fried with mushrooms were quite divine.

How's things in Dorset? What's your weekly alcohol consumption like nowadays?

Because you have to raise the animal much longer at greater expense to get it old enough to be mutton - and people generally won't pay for the difference, so it's not cost-effective.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Because people mistakingly believe that lamb is more tender than mutton which, provided you cook it correctly, is patently untrue.

But chops aren't actually that good, are they? They're simple to cook but ultimately mostly disappointing. With the possible exception of these f*ck off huge veal chops I used to get in NY which when pan fried with mushrooms were quite divine.

How's things in Dorset? What's your weekly alcohol consumption like nowadays?
    I now reside in South Hams b near Dartmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Because you have to raise the animal much longer at greater expense to get it old enough to be mutton - and people generally won't pay for the difference, so it's not cost-effective.
    Perhaps they could disguise the chops of younger beasts and charge more. Lamb dressed as mutton so to speak

I now reside in South Hams b near Dartmouth
    Fúcking hell mate, go any further west and you'll fall off the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Fúcking hell mate, go any further west and you'll fall off the end!
    Also, doesn't that now make him Devon Gooner?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Also, doesn't that now make him Devon Gooner/
    I'm going to be frank with you here, b. Devon, Dorset, Cornwall - I have no idea which is which. It's all a bit 'out west' to me, I fear.

I'm going to be frank with you here, b. Devon, Dorset, Cornwall - I have no idea which is which. It's all a bit 'out west' to me, I fear.
    No loss there, Charles, as it's all sh1t. Sh1t weather, sh1t food, sh1t people - all sh1t.

You can drive to France in less time than it takes to get there, as well. Why on earth would someone spend time in the west when you could spend it in France?

Insane.

I don't really know Dorset that well. Never spent much time there. Devon I love. Cornwall's nice, but it's ridicules hard to get to.