Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New signings. I feel so underwhelmed

His points are relevant because this happens every year and for some bizarre reason for a man who is supposed to be so intelligent everyone else bar him seems to notice it is not working. WES is saying what most of us have been feeling for too long.
    When was the last time we began the season with a squad worthy of the Arsenal name?
    Now the stadium finances are behind us, what further excuses are we looking for?

But don't you wonder why this was not addressed pre season so at least we could all be up to speed?
    Are you telling me that bar their injuries, you would have been happy for Gab and Merts along Kos this season Pires?

I am not saying the Lucas is rubbish but as he wasn't in France we could have brought him in earlier and maybe things may have been different against Liverpool and Leicester.
    Ifs, buts and maybes I know but to expect people to hit the PL running from a significantly different league is asking a lot.
    Only the energizer bunny that is Alexis has successfully done it of late.

And is that our level now? Going after the 'best of the rest'?

Yeah I was very unhappy Campbell was shipped off again as he is clearly far more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Henry AKA The African Queen View Post
    And is that our level now? Going after the 'best of the rest'?
    It's been our level since the 40's. We are not as big a draw as Bayern, United, Real or Barca and we don't have endlass cash of City and to a lesser extent Chelsea

How many world class players at the top of their game have ever signed for us? Arshavin and Campbell, you could also include Ozil as Real were just mental selling him so they could buy a shiny, new toy (Bale)

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Are you actually suggesting that we should have just bought a player for 3 matches? I think it's fair to say we tried to get players in earlier but for whatever reason they didn't happen
    No that we should have bought earlier. I presume pre season games are no just about fitness but also about bedding players into our style of play. Re-reading I see that it comes across wrong.

I would gladly love to be proved wrong but somehow...

But don't you wonder why this was not addressed pre season so at least we could all be up to speed?
    Are you telling me that bar their injuries, you would have been happy for Gab and Merts along Kos this season Pires?

I am not saying the Lucas is rubbish but as he wasn't in France we could have brought him in earlier and maybe things may have been different against Liverpool and Leicester.
    Ifs, buts and maybes I know but to expect people to hit the PL running from a significantly different league is asking a lot.
    Only the energizer bunny that is Alexis has successfully done it of late.
    We were clearly after Vardy at that point though and when that fell through then we had to start to look elsewhere, hardly as though there is a plethora of top class strikers around and when Everton are looking for £70m for Lukaku then you know there's a bit of a supply and demand issue

His points are relevant because this happens every year and for some bizarre reason for a man who is supposed to be so intelligent everyone else bar him seems to notice it is not working. WES is saying what most of us have been feeling for too long.
    When was the last time we began the season with a squad worthy of the Arsenal name?
    Now the stadium finances are behind us, what further excuses are we looking for?
    Hello Lady H - hope you are well.
    Can't remember the last time we spent 100 million quid in a summer. This squad was good enough to finish second last year and undoubtedly been strengthened by Xhaka and Mustafi (the third most expensive defender in history I believe - bloody cheapskate Wenger) and hopefully Holding and Lucas.
    To say our squad isn't worthy the Arsenal name is just wrong. It isn't perfect but there are some cracking players and depth in most positions (how many teams have full backs as good as Debuchy and Gibbs as back up full backs? Gabriel and Per will be back to bolster our centre back options and Ramsey, one of the best players at the Euros, doesn't get into our strongest XI at the moment).

Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Xhaka, Carzorla, Sanchez and Mesut "****ing" Özil as the core of the team is pretty ****ing good to me

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    It's been our level since the 40's. We are not as big a draw as Bayern, United, Real or Barca and we don't have endlass cash of City and to a lesser extent Chelsea

How many world class players at the top of their game have ever signed for us? Arshavin and Campbell, you could also include Ozil as Real were just mental selling him so they could buy a shiny, new toy (Bale)
    I would add Alexis, Thierry and Dennis to that list. Possibly Overmars, Gilberto Silva and Petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Hello Lady H - hope you are well.
    Can't remember the last time we spent 100 million quid in a summer. This squad was good enough to finish second last year and undoubtedly been strengthened by Xhaka and Mustafi (the third most expensive defender in history I believe - bloody cheapskate Wenger) and hopefully Holding and Lucas.
    To say our squad isn't worthy the Arsenal name is just wrong. It isn't perfect but there are some cracking players and depth in most positions (how many teams have full backs as good as Debuchy and Gibbs as back up full backs? Gabriel and Per will be back to bolster our centre back options and Ramsey, one of the best players at the Euros, doesn't get into our strongest XI at the moment).

Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Xhaka, Carzorla, Sanchez and Mesut "****ing" Özil as the core of the team is pretty ****ing good to me
    Hey Luis. Long time. I pray all is good.

You are right I should be more optimistic but somehow I am not. I do not hold the same high regard for Gibbs and Debuchy as you do but overall we should be ok.
    I am very unhappy Joel has been sent out again and wish Theo had instead. I was surprised Jack accepted it but the ego that is Walcott clearly would not and because of his ludicrous wages we are stuck with him.

Ah well. Onwards and upwards.