Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New signings. I feel so underwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Well, the thread was about this summer's signings and you've chosen to go off on one about last summer and, even more bizarrely, something that allegedly happened six years ago, so I am not sure what you consider new and relevant in that. If you actually make a point that is worth putting forward a counter argument against to I would gladly do so. At the moment you haven't
    Let's see if this stupid thing is now working, shall we

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    As far as I am aware, Mertesacker and Gabriel are merely injured - unfortunate but less serious than dead. Quite how people think we can just stockpile players when there is a limit on a squad size these days. Most managers have spoken about what a difficult summer it was to sign players - see Chelsea's struggle to get a centre back in and what they ended up with. Only Arsene seems to get stick for it. City only bought their first choice keeper in the last week of the window but they have been praised to the hilt for their summer business .

Not surprised you feel underwhelmed by Lucas - he did absolutely **** all in Serie A last year. He did however score 17 goals in La Liga
    Was he not the "best of the rest" strikers in La Liga? Certainly don't think it's particularly fair to dismiss a player before he's actually played a game for us

I happen to think we've had a very good transfer window and convinced we'll have a very good season

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Was he not the "best of the rest" strikers in La Liga? Certainly don't think it's particularly fair to dismiss a player before he's actually played a game for us.
    There was 3 others above him, not taking into account any players from the obvious big 3.

https://www.statbunker.com/competiti...rs?comp_id=518

Agree with you on the second assertion all the same, give him a chance before burying him. I think most people's frustration is based not at the player but at the process and the length of time it took to act which in turn may cause one to wonder if he was ever a plan or simply a panic/reaction to a less than awe inspiring start to the season.

Had he been high on Wenger's list of targets then given his clause he could in reality have signed earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Was he not the "best of the rest" strikers in La Liga? Certainly don't think it's particularly fair to dismiss a player before he's actually played a game for us

I happen to think we've had a very good transfer window and convinced we'll have a very good season
    Yes, absolutely. I haven't been this optimistic in years.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Yes, absolutely. I haven't been this optimistic in years.
    What is this extreme level of optimism based on?

I think it was pretty clear that we were aiming higher once Vardy failed (either Griezmann or Lewandowski, if Twitter is to be believed) but couldn't make that happen (unsurprisingly), so he was next in line. I don't get the complaints about timing really - we've played 3 games. No team had a settled squad before the season kicked off, one of those things until they close the transfer window before the season starts - I guess the problem with that is not all leagues KO at the same time.

Otherwise, pretty content. Decent signings in MF and CB, Perez an unknown but a reasonable enough gamble, on the face if it. Whether it is enough remains to be seen but for once I'm not looking at glaring holes in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    What is this extreme level of optimism based on?
    Yes, Wenger did the business late. Yes he got players we did not expect. Yes we missed out on Griezman (bcos he did not want to leave) and Lacazette (who like Wenger I do not believe was worth the price Lyon wanted to sell).
    Who knew Henry and co when Wenger signed them? Yes those are old footballing days but pls give this man a chance. My only worry is that we need one more winger and not a striker after the purchase of Lucas.
    Walcott, Iwobi and Ox just cannot do it and are very prone to injury.
    I have high hopes for the season. And yes we actually do have a chance of winning the league. I have not watched any team who look unbeatable this season. They all have weak spots. Please let us give Lucas a chance, he has not even kicked a ball FFS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by omiks View Post
    Who knew Henry and co when Wenger signed them?
    I don’t think Henry was the best example you could have used here as I would assume 99% of chaps who had a passing interest in football knew who Henry was what with him being part of the France 98 World Cup winning squad and a young player who had moved from Monaco with a big reputation to one of the larger clubs in Europe.

Apart from that he was of course unknown.

Lol, almost any of Wenger's successful signings other then Henry would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Red N White Army View Post
    Lol, almost any of Wenger's successful signings other then Henry would have done.
    Bit harsh on Iwobi also I have to say.