Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok Awimb I've had it!I've tried post football content and it's crap. So I will stick

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's a proper de-bunking of the 'lion led by donkeys' / Ben Elton / meaningless war narrative. The disdain with which he treats the namby-pamby poets of the time is really quite remarkable
    I will Kindle it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's a proper de-bunking of the 'lion led by donkeys' / Ben Elton / meaningless war narrative. The disdain with which he treats the namby-pamby poets of the time is really quite remarkable
    I don't think the valour of the young infantry officers at the front was ever in question. The donkeys were yer Haigs and their ilk, no?

Ta for the link, even if it wasn't mean't for me. Wouldn't mind reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I don't think the valour of the young infantry officers at the front was ever in question. The donkeys were yer Haigs and their ilk, no?

Ta for the link, even if it wasn't mean't for me. Wouldn't mind reading that.
    Entirely correct, a, but the simplistic dismissal of Haig and co. is but another of the myths about the first world war so beloved of the self-hating in our society.