Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Academic paper on the effect of the global super-rich on Highghate.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Sorry, I meant the north London 'burbs. **** all in Hampstead or Highgate, that's for sure. I blame the kikes for not going out on Friday nights.
    I used to like Il Sorpreso in Hampstead, Mind you I haven't been there since 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It's an academic paper, so it has to be long.

Summary: Basically the super-rich are modernising old properties in ways which the old Highgate professional and academic elites find distasteful and vulgar, and complex and expensive legal battles ensue between the old upper-middle classes with their sense of community and respect for the historical aesthetic, and the new furrin neoliberal oligarch and high finance types who object to these fuddy duddies standing in their way of doing what they damn well please!

Summary of the summary: It's Thatcher's fault. Again.
    That's a next-level summary, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    That's a next-level summary, my man.
    Yeah, I visited Highgate a couple days. Brought my copy of The Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844 with. As one does! #theyoungmarx #baller #erstwhilephilosphicalconscience

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjam esrcrewe%2Fposts%2F10154450886136575&width=500" width="500" height="627" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

If the influx of the super-rich had anything to do with the opening of Ostuni - pretty much the first decent independent restaurant in north London - then the more the merrier.
    These people don't eat in restaurants, my friend. They have their own chefs. As if they'd share a public space with the likes of you.

These people don't eat in restaurants, my friend. They have their own chefs. As if they'd share a public space with the likes of you.
    Well, Neil Morrissey seemed unperturbed by my presence when I dined there the other night

Did he behave ok?
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Well, Neil Morrissey seemed unperturbed by my presence when I dined there the other night
    And how much of the former Soviet Union does he own? You seem to be confusing luvvie celebs with people who shít gold.

Don't be fooled.... he was ignoring you
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

And how much of the former Soviet Union does he own? You seem to be confusing luvvie celebs with people who shít gold.
    I was joking. And name-dropping, natch.