Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
That's right. Feminists are going to oppose the patriarchy by...ummm...defending one of the most blatant and explicit manifestations of the oppression of women.

I literally do not know where to start with the degree of stupidity and doublethink required to imagine this is a good idea.

https://www.facebook.com/events/191575907926970/
I'm not sure the burkini constitutes the gravest source of oppression to the female sex. Whilst I agree that Islamic covering rules are arcane and medieval, my understanding of the feminist position in this case, is that the burkini does not cover the face, so is less problematic than the veil, and primarily lets women access activities they may well be forbidden to them. The alternative would be Muslim women being kept in and unable to enjoy the sea. Notwithstanding that, it does seem a cruel irony that the state which prides itself on liberty, is being absurdly illiberal and prescriptive about what one wears on the beach. To say that women can only access the beach if they wear a bikini or a swimsuit is ridiculous, and as it only affects women, it's reasonable for feminists to take issue with it.