Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 'Feminists' are planning a protest about the Burkini ban in France

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    The instances of skin cancer in Muslim countries must be minute.wd the Muslims.
    I suspect you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's right. Feminists are going to oppose the patriarchy by...ummm...defending one of the most blatant and explicit manifestations of the oppression of women.

I literally do not know where to start with the degree of stupidity and doublethink required to imagine this is a good idea.

https://www.facebook.com/events/191575907926970/
    The protest isn't a defence of the Burkha, which is undoubtedly an unfortunate symbol of patriarchal Islam. It's a defence of the right to wear what one chooses to wear. Many islamic women have made the choice to follow this part of their religion. These are not necessarily women living under dogged oppression on a daily basis. In the same way some Catholic women will not use contraception. Both are examples of a deeply patriarchal religion dictating to women. One is more visible, one is potentially more physically harmful.

I have no evidence, but I sincerely doubt that fundamentalists will be on the beach in a Burkini. I'd guess that fundamentalists hate these women more than the French do.

Let's have a proper public debate, rather than an ill thought out ban.

Quote Originally Posted by George Morrell's Tache View Post
    Well argued.
    Yes, and there should be more public debates about all the difficult subjects, rather than running away from the issues and passing unhelpful laws for the sake of a bit of SomethingMustBeDonery.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's right. Feminists are going to oppose the patriarchy by...ummm...defending one of the most blatant and explicit manifestations of the oppression of women.

I literally do not know where to start with the degree of stupidity and doublethink required to imagine this is a good idea.

https://www.facebook.com/events/191575907926970/
    Surely perfectly understandable, if the alternative is to support the oppressively male design that the more shape and skin a woman shows, the better she is to be honoured?

I presume their idea is that the burqa/burqa ban is simply one more damn thing.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    The protest isn't a defence of the Burkha, which is undoubtedly an unfortunate symbol of patriarchal Islam. It's a defence of the right to wear what one chooses to wear. Many islamic women have made the choice to follow this part of their religion. These are not necessarily women living under dogged oppression on a daily basis. In the same way some Catholic women will not use contraception. Both are examples of a deeply patriarchal religion dictating to women. One is more visible, one is potentially more physically harmful.

I have no evidence, but I sincerely doubt that fundamentalists will be on the beach in a Burkini. I'd guess that fundamentalists hate these women more than the French do.

Let's have a proper public debate, rather than an ill thought out ban.
    Yes, and heaven forbid that we might look at the issue on a practical level. Is there anyone who really believes that banning the burkini is going to influence the misogynistic nature of Islamic culture in a positive way? Really? Do you think women who are coerced into wearing the burkini are going to suddenly become Germaine Greer on a camel?

The problem isn't women who are forced to cover up, it's the men, the culture and the community who encourage it. I would suggest we focus our attention there. And although I admit that we are likely to encounter the same group of people who will be protesting the ban on burkinis, at least in this scenario we'll have a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    ..at least in this scenario we'll have a valid argument.
    Not if you're a Western Feminist though; their primary target is Western men, not Islamic ones.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Not if you're a Western Feminist though; their primary target is Western men, not Islamic ones.

Trust me, red, when I say 'we', it never includes Western feminists. FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Trust me, red, when I say 'we', it never includes Western feminists. FACT.
    Same difference really; feminists can be women too.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Surely perfectly understandable, if the alternative is to support the oppressively male design that the more shape and skin a woman shows, the better she is to be honoured?
    gpwm. Feminists and Muslimists have always been in agreement on the modesty thing.