Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Feminists' are planning a protest about the Burkini ban in France

'Feminists' are planning a protest about the Burkini ban in France

That's right. Feminists are going to oppose the patriarchy by...ummm...defending one of the most blatant and explicit manifestations of the oppression of women.

I literally do not know where to start with the degree of stupidity and doublethink required to imagine this is a good idea.

https://www.facebook.com/events/191575907926970/

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's right. Feminists are going to oppose the patriarchy by...ummm...defending one of the most blatant and explicit manifestations of the oppression of women.

I literally do not know where to start with the degree of stupidity and doublethink required to imagine this is a good idea.

"Women should have free agency to choose how they dress"

I wonder if someone is going to point out to them that it's 'Le Touquet', not 'La Touquet'.

Thick and mental, wd them.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    "Women should have free agency to choose how they dress"
    I know. It's an irony-free zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I wonder if someone is going to point out to them that it's 'Le Touquet', not 'La Touquet'.

Thick and mental, wd them.
    When basic logic is a stranger, accurate spelling is too much to ask. I'm intrigued by the 'good feels' offered in return for lifts, though.

I'm not sure the burkini constitutes the gravest source of oppression to the female sex. Whilst I agree that Islamic covering rules are arcane and medieval, my understanding of the feminist position in this case, is that the burkini does not cover the face, so is less problematic than the veil, and primarily lets women access activities they may well be forbidden to them. The alternative would be Muslim women being kept in and unable to enjoy the sea. Notwithstanding that, it does seem a cruel irony that the state which prides itself on liberty, is being absurdly illiberal and prescriptive about what one wears on the beach. To say that women can only access the beach if they wear a bikini or a swimsuit is ridiculous, and as it only affects women, it's reasonable for feminists to take issue with it.

Anyone who defends the burkini or the burkha is not a feminist. Full stop.

The most ridiculous argument I've heard in favour of it is that it is worn by people who've suffered from skin cancer and don't want exposure to the sun. Don't guys get skin cancer then?

Quote Originally Posted by George Morrell's Tache View Post
    I'm not sure the burkini constitutes the gravest source of oppression to the female sex. Whilst I agree that Islamic covering rules are arcane and medieval, my understanding of the feminist position in this case, is that the burkini does not cover the face, so is less problematic than the veil, and primarily lets women access activities they may well be forbidden to them. The alternative would be Muslim women being kept in and unable to enjoy the sea. Notwithstanding that, it does seem a cruel irony that the state which prides itself on liberty, is being absurdly illiberal and prescriptive about what one wears on the beach. To say that women can only access the beach if they wear a bikini or a swimsuit is ridiculous, and as it only affects women, it's reasonable for feminists to take issue with it.
    Good post, George Morrell's Tache.

Yeah great points. In fact why not let slaves who are locked up go with their masters to the beach as well? So they can run around for a little while and pretend they're free?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Yeah great points. In fact why not let slaves who are locked up go with their masters to the beach as well? So they can run around for a little while and pretend they're free?
    Would you legally force women to go topless on a beach, even if it might reflect your personal aesthetic preferences? Or would you respect their choice to wear what they choose? This isn't about face-covering, which is a completely different matter.

Nothing wrong with this outfit imo:

OTOH there is to my mind definitely something wrong with a law that forces women to take off their clothes.