Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit of a poll / open discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The real mind fúck for them must be that she is British, and therefore deserving of a damned good racist kicking...
    Yes. While one can only abhor some of the things that have been said to the poor girl, it's always rather satisfying to see a bit of tokenistic, identity politics bull**** blow up in the faces of the perpetrators.

Tree view.

Clamping down on gratuitous insults of other posters.

Stopping the hijacking of threads. Even this one has been hijacked. some people only want to talk about themselves not about Arsenal. You need more hands-on moderation to delete irrelevant posts.

Invite existing members to post and do a bit of PR on Facebook or Twitter or wherever and when new members join (or old members come up with yet another character) treat them with a modicum of politeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Tree view.

Clamping down on gratuitous insults of other posters.

Stopping the hijacking of threads. Even this one has been hijacked. some people only want to talk about themselves not about Arsenal. You need more hands-on moderation to delete irrelevant posts.

Invite existing members to post and do a bit of PR on Facebook or Twitter or wherever and when new members join (or old members come up with yet another character) treat them with a modicum of politeness.
    Isn't 'thread hijacking' just another term for 'conversation'?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Isn't 'thread hijacking' just another term for 'conversation'?
    Not when someone asks "do you know what time the game is on" and you get a reply "the other day I had a rather wonderful Chateauneuf-du-Pape".

Not when someone asks "do you know what time the game is on" and you get a reply "the other day I had a rather wonderful Chateauneuf-du-Pape".
    I'm very much a Claret man, myself.

How is that hijacking? It doesn't stop you talking about everything you want to talk about while allowing others to discuss something quite different if they so desire. If enough people care about what both people are talking about, two or more conversations can happily co-exist within one thread. You seem to see such tangents as being somehow intrusive, while your apparent desire to maintain one-track conversations comes across as oddly exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    How is that hijacking? It doesn't stop you talking about everything you want to talk about while allowing others to discuss something quite different if they so desire. If enough people care about what both people are talking about, two or more conversations can happily co-exist within one thread. You seem to see such tangents as being somehow intrusive, while your apparent desire to maintain one-track conversations comes across as oddly exclusive.
    Not at all. There are times when you want to shoot the breeze and there are times when you want to discuss something concrete. There is nothing to stop you ignoring a post which doesn't interest you and then start a new thread to discuss what you actually want to talk about.

Not at all. There are times when you want to shoot the breeze and there are times when you want to discuss something concrete. There is nothing to stop you ignoring a post which doesn't interest you and then start a new thread to discuss what you actually want to talk about.
    When you say 'you', you mean 'I', don't you? Why are you trying to impose your rigid conversational rules on the rest of us? When you're in a conversation with several people, do you get cross and shout at them if they start to go off on a tangent? Or do you accept that that just happens to be how normal human discourse works?

Sometimes when I say "you" I mean "I" and sometimes a cigar is just a pipe. If you go to buy a train ticket would you welcome the guy behind the counter giving you his views on the Schleswig-Holstein question instead of a single to Sidcup?

Sometimes when I say "you" I mean "I" and sometimes a cigar is just a pipe. If you go to buy a train ticket would you welcome the guy behind the counter giving you his views on the Schleswig-Holstein question instead of a single to Sidcup?
    You can use your Oyster card to get to Sidcup, Mo.