Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: A bit of a poll / open discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    I think emailing those who didn't make it over giving them help on doing so and explaining on how to remove the ads or banners that clutter the forum etc and also those who were hounded out and bullied, like Jorge and even GSTB, who suffered horrendous abuse, having a zero-tolerance policy on blatant racism and wishing death/cancer on people would make it a more accommodating place.

Also is there any promotion or social media sites that this forum is linked to? Maybe having a twitter account and promoting the forum that way. As for the lay-out I think it's OK.
    Emailing the ones that didn't make the transition is a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris+ View Post
    I want awimb to return to it's former glory - How do I achieve this?

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

I want input from you lot - speak now please - how can it be improved?
    I'm on AWIMB since 1998 (Jesus!) and I would say that the last 2-3 years have been too "aggressive" for me (people fighting, bullying etc) and I kinda faded away with the occasional lurking. Tbh I didn't like the new look and didn't bother getting around to log in for a few months but I more regular lately. I would log in everyday just to keep this site up and give the site a boost. I'm willing to chip in an amount but as Chris+ mentioned that's not an option. I still prefer a classic forum over any SM. A reminder/sticky that we could be clicking on the ads to help the forum (or create a league with the most clicks per month )

I just got the email from Chris +. I wanted to return to for the good of the board.

The Gods will probably have disappeared to their higher spheres now there's a bit more activity on the board. But if you cannot be a rsed to keep threads clear of cnuting adverts for kitchens and furniture which have been there for weeks, don't be surprised if people don't get fed up with this place.

It takes two to tango.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenes' Wanger View Post
    The smugness along with the snide remarks of long term posters needs to change a bit. New members want to express their opinion and be answered with a little respect, instead of being derided by members. A thought out comment in return instead of a snide, half clever rebuttal would be good. Embrace the new posters. They want to feel appreciated.
    I would agree with this.

I also think the fact that the club has been pretty much standing still for a decade has lessened some of the traffic. How much can we say about a good but not great side that has so many consecutive indistinguishable seasons?

It's maybe also an age thing. As I get older I still try to watch every match but it's a bit less of a priority to talk about Arsenal all day every day, especially when they are not on the pitch. Yes, yes, I know, Plastic Fan and all that, go ahead if you must...

I don't know where the board is hosted but I wonder if there might be a more cost-effective platform available (cloud service, for example if not already being used)?

I should add I am addicted to the PPPL and would hate to lose it. Thanks Homer!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner Canuck View Post
    I would agree with this.

I also think the fact that the club has been pretty much standing still for a decade has lessened some of the traffic. How much can we say about a good but not great side that has so many consecutive indistinguishable seasons?

It's maybe also an age thing. As I get older I still try to watch every match but it's a bit less of a priority to talk about Arsenal all day every day, especially when they are not on the pitch. Yes, yes, I know, Plastic Fan and all that, go ahead if you must...
    valid points young man

*****luxury kitchens for sale in dundee*****
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Hi Chris+ --

My two (late) cents: it's true enough that social media has overtaken forums to a large extent but I, too, like to think there remains a place for the latter along with the former on the internet.

Also, I stopped really regularly actively posting on AWIMB years ago after being made to feel like I was a lesser Gooner on account of my gender and frankly, there also have been casual comments about people who aren't European that have made me feel like I wouldn't be welcome by some -- though by no means all (thank you Chris+, Peter, etc.) -- AWIMBers.

At the same time though, I still check AWIMB for Arsenal views, discussions and take part in the PPPL. It helps me feel connected to the greater Gooner community. And therein lies this board's strengths to my mind: i.e., that it is the online home to some really dedicated Gooners, and a place where one can come in to exhult/vent about the Arsenal. Put another way: Maybe I'm really in the minority here but it's not so much the banter that I come here for but the feeling I sometimes can get that the Arsenal can actually arouse/provoke strong emotions in us!

I think in many ways this is almost unavoidable given the rise of social media. Arsenal Land went the way of the dodo quite some time ago. Arsenal Mania is still going, but I suspect they are also experiencing slowdown.

Four out of five awimb boards have spam posts heading them. Mods don't care, nobody cares so long as the faithful log on to prove someone has seen all the pathetic lowlife ads. Not for me, Clive. Fix your board or find some other sucker.