Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit of a poll / open discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Sorry mate but that's a load of balls or as I like to call it "your opinion".You have every right to think that but we also have the right to think not.That's the way a democracy works.
    It's not nonsense when there is ample proof. Any new forum rules on racism and hijacking/off-topic comments would explicitly impact Burney's irrational rantings.

And when a mod has already had a go at him for his abusive behaviour recently it doesn't take a genius to work out he isn't mod material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    {stuff}
    I'm sure I have responded to you quite often, GG--AAFC. Though you do sometimes rant a bit, if I may say so.

If you find it cliquey, it has always been so, and more so in the past because, as you point out, occasional posters stood out less amongst the din. We all get ignored from time to time, but it's hard to become a part of a community if you don't try. Lurking, making the odd post then sulking if it doesn't get the attention you sought might not be the best approach. The quality of posts, rather than their length, can have a lot to do with how they are recieved. Worth thinking about.

To say that it is not worth discussing politics because Jorge is not here seems odd if you tended to agree with him, unless you are one of those who prefer to discuss politics with those who agree with you, rather than disagree. There is a tendancy to big up posters who have left, saying "I hardly ever post, and you lot are all crap anyway, not like good old XZY". Then complain that you don't get attention.

Jorge left after Burnley said something like "Fùck off and die. Seriously" to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm sure I have responded to you quite often, GG--AAFC. Though you do sometimes rant a bit, if I may say so.

If you find it cliquey, it has always been so, and more so in the past because, as you point out, occasional posters stood out less amongst the din. We all get ignored from time to time, but it's hard to become a part of a community if you don't try. Lurking, making the odd post then sulking if it doesn't get the attention you sought might not be the best approach. The quality of posts, rather than their length, can have a lot to do with how they are recieved. Worth thinking about.

To say that it is not worth discussing politics because Jorge is not here seems odd if you tended to agree with him, unless you are one of those who prefer to discuss politics with those who agree with you, rather than disagree. There is a tendancy to big up posters who have left, saying "I hardly ever post, and you lot are all crap anyway, not like good old XZY". Then complain that you don't get attention.

Jorge left after Burnley said something like "Fùck off and die. Seriously" to him.
    I think everyone is taking this place way too seriously. Which I was sure guilty of doing in the past. When I first started posting on here people ignored me and thought I was annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I think everyone is taking this place way too seriously. Which I was sure guilty of doing in the past. When I first started posting on here people ignored me and thought I was annoying.
    Right. And most of the occasional posters I take the trouble to talk to just ignore my efforts anyway. Like all these gentlemen making helpful kitchen recommendations, and all those keen to discuss the trending topic of GD design. No manners, you see.

Dunno how to cut up a quote so:

1. I know you have been decent. Everyone here has, tbh. It's hard to explain, really. I haven't done good job of it.

2. I'm not ungrateful. I've always been a lurker. The irony is that if I posted at 1am before, it wouldn't be seen. Now with no night shift, people have been taking up my posts the nest day. Seriously, more replies in the last 2 months than all century. It's just we all wish it was like before, don't we?

3. Again, don't take it the wrong way? Where did I say you're all crap? I was still lurking and posting last night, wasn't I? Chris asked what has changed, someone said ask a Lurker, so I replied. Damned if I do, damned if I don't? Just saying what had changed for me.

And again, I'm not complaining I don't get the attention. I get far more than I deserve and everyone is generally both respectful and witty. Why do I still pop in after 15+ years?

4. So J basically flounced?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    No, he just left. To flounce you have to dramatically tell everyone you're leaving and, well, flounce out. Jorge slipped away quietly in the night.

Dunno how to cut up a quote so:

1. I know you have been decent. Everyone here has, tbh. It's hard to explain, really. I haven't done good job of it.

2. I'm not ungrateful. I've always been a lurker. The irony is that if I posted at 1am before, it wouldn't be seen. Now with no night shift, people have been taking up my posts the nest day. Seriously, more replies in the last 2 months than all century. It's just we all wish it was like before, don't we?

3. Again, don't take it the wrong way? Where did I say you're all crap? I was still lurking and posting last night, wasn't I? Chris asked what has changed, someone said ask a Lurker, so I replied. Damned if I do, damned if I don't? Just saying what had changed for me.

And again, I'm not complaining I don't get the attention. I get far more than I deserve and everyone is generally both respectful and witty. Why do I still pop in after 15+ years?

Forgive the intrusion, but I find it very hard to believe that j flounced as a result of b giving him both barrels; j has been involved in many, many robust exchanges over the years (haven't we all?) and shrugged them off. I have a sneaking suspicion that he had simply grown tired of casting the radical leftist seed hither and yon only to look in vague for the growth of any seedlings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Forgive the intrusion, but I find it very hard to believe that j flounced as a result of b giving him both barrels; j has been involved in many, many robust exchanges over the years (haven't we all?) and shrugged them off. I have a sneaking suspicion that he had simply grown tired of casting the radical leftist seed hither and yon only to look in vague for the growth of any seedlings.
    Well, there was a message from him that called us all fascists, about which I am disappoint, but it's always easiest to deal with political differences by shouting 'fascist' at everyone.

Anyway, if he were still here, he could have given us the low-down on these two expected new players, whose careers he will certainly have followed in detail.

Well, there was a message from him that called us all fascists, about which I am disappoint, but it's always easiest to deal with political differences by shouting 'fascist' at everyone.

Anyway, if he were still here, he could have given us the low-down on these two expected new players, whose careers he will certainly have followed in detail.
    Yes, I have recently been described here as both a 'fascist', and an 'uber Brit supremacist', so I suppose I ought to flounce, really.

I'll give it some thought before deciding.

Not sure if this is really the pertinent point to respond to.

I'm not convinced the quality of discussion warrants making an effort. From my limited experience over two periods, debate has a lot of macho posturing and there is little conceding of points. Most importantly it almost always drifts off into something completely unrelated (usually food, yawn) in next to no time.