Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit of a poll / open discussion...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ChrisPlus

A bit of a poll / open discussion...

I want awimb to return to it's former glory - How do I achieve this?

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

I want input from you lot - speak now please - how can it be improved?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris+ View Post

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

I'll chip in a few bob to help keep the auld thing going, if that's any use.

ChrisPlus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'll chip in a few bob to help keep the auld thing going, if that's any use.
    Very generous Ash, but I've never taken money off anyone yet and I don't want to start now

Very generous Ash, but I've never taken money off anyone yet and I don't want to start now
    Chris+ !! We appreciate your efforts. If there's one thing we need it's a return to a robust tree view. It's too much effort to enter every little thread. We lose the wit, the wisdom, the lunchtime menus. Little help bro. And if there is a little expense maybe we can shake out a few pennies for it. :thumb up:

Ah, well. In which case I'm fresh out of ideas. Social media has in many cases reduced activity on the old forums and I don't think it's reversable. A few posters have seemingly returned in recent days, and maybe if AW starts doing silly walks up and down the touchline at Watford, who knows?

People will demand the tree view back and so on, but I don't know if it makes much difference. Smileys in the title line might help a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ah, well. In which case I'm fresh out of ideas. Social media has in many cases reduced activity on the old forums and I don't think it's reversable. A few posters have seemingly returned in recent days, and maybe if AW starts doing silly walks up and down the touchline at Watford, who knows?

People will demand the tree view back and so on, but I don't know if it makes much difference. Smileys in the title line might help a bit though.
    Don't listen to him, Chris. It's treeview or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Don't listen to him, Chris. It's treeview or bust.
    It's not, though. It's faster reading threads on here where people quote than it was to click every reply in the old world.

Subscribing is simply clicking on the thread. But you don't know the content of the thread; it's too participatory to have to seek it out. You should just be able to let it all wash over you. Tree view innit.

It isn't the new format - people get used to change. As Ash says bringing back treeview won't make much difference. People did have trouble with their logins after the change despite your sticky and some may have disappeared for good because of that.

I think moderating the spammers would help a little bit. There were a few more mods on the old board and stuff usually got dealt with quickly - takes days on here sometimes.

Other than that - perhaps there is a slight feeling of malaise? Not just Arsenal but football in general - the PL is just so much overkill these days...no real break, constant crap on social media and the tv. I dunno, perhaps I'm just getting old but the spark just isn't there any more and even if AW had broken the bank I don't think it would make bugger all difference.

Lastly, get rid of the sweary filter for ****s sake
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Perhaps I'm being defeatist, but I think it may just have run its course.
    We've had people grow up on this board (sort of). We've seen RickyG and Billy Goats Mates transform from callow youths to responsible parental units, we've seen people go through marriages, divorces and all sorts - we've even seen Fash settle down! And inevitably as those life things happen, people will tend to drift away. The problem is that, whereas in the old days new blood would come on here, nowadays a message board is bound to look hopelessly outdated to kids who've grown up with snapchat, Instagram et al and they're not going to come through.
    In addition, this board's fortunes have very much mirrored Wenger's career arc with us. Its peak was during his peak as manager and, as our fortunes have declined relatively, so has interest and participation in the board. There simply isn't the buzz around talking about an Arsenal in relative doldrums that there was about talking about one that on occasion looked like the best domestic English side any of us had ever seen.
    So yes, I do think perhaps we're seeing the natural decline and likely death of AWIMB. It's not been killed by anything, it's just had its time.