Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit of a poll / open discussion...

Subscribing is simply clicking on the thread. But you don't know the content of the thread; it's too participatory to have to seek it out. You should just be able to let it all wash over you. Tree view innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris+ View Post
    I want awimb to return to it's former glory - How do I achieve this?

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

I want input from you lot - speak now please - how can it be improved?
    It isn't the new format - people get used to change. As Ash says bringing back treeview won't make much difference. People did have trouble with their logins after the change despite your sticky and some may have disappeared for good because of that.

I think moderating the spammers would help a little bit. There were a few more mods on the old board and stuff usually got dealt with quickly - takes days on here sometimes.

Other than that - perhaps there is a slight feeling of malaise? Not just Arsenal but football in general - the PL is just so much overkill these days...no real break, constant crap on social media and the tv. I dunno, perhaps I'm just getting old but the spark just isn't there any more and even if AW had broken the bank I don't think it would make bugger all difference.

Lastly, get rid of the sweary filter for ****s sake
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

Perhaps I'm being defeatist, but I think it may just have run its course.
    We've had people grow up on this board (sort of). We've seen RickyG and Billy Goats Mates transform from callow youths to responsible parental units, we've seen people go through marriages, divorces and all sorts - we've even seen Fash settle down! And inevitably as those life things happen, people will tend to drift away. The problem is that, whereas in the old days new blood would come on here, nowadays a message board is bound to look hopelessly outdated to kids who've grown up with snapchat, Instagram et al and they're not going to come through.
    In addition, this board's fortunes have very much mirrored Wenger's career arc with us. Its peak was during his peak as manager and, as our fortunes have declined relatively, so has interest and participation in the board. There simply isn't the buzz around talking about an Arsenal in relative doldrums that there was about talking about one that on occasion looked like the best domestic English side any of us had ever seen.
    So yes, I do think perhaps we're seeing the natural decline and likely death of AWIMB. It's not been killed by anything, it's just had its time.

I tend to disagree with the social media thing.
    I log on to Facebook in 10 minute spats and let's face it Twitter has become one big market place with people selling their wares.So I think a forum still has relevancy.
    I would look at the "lurker" angle and encourage them to join in.I mean,who logs on to a forum and has no urge to join in and voice their opinion?
    Perhaps put a temporary ban (a day/a week) on lurkers that don't post?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I tend to disagree with the social media thing.
    I log on to Facebook in 10 minute spats and let's face it Twitter has become one big market place with people selling their wares.So I think a forum still has relevancy.
    I would look at the "lurker" angle and encourage them to join in.I mean,who logs on to a forum and has no urge to join in and voice their opinion?
    Perhaps put a temporary ban (a day/a week) on lurkers that don't post?
    Yesterday a chap posted 'Is it worth me participating or is it a closed shop?' and I wondered whether we do appear cliquey to lurkers. We have mainly known each other for donkey's years, after all. But then I thought, nah, it's always been like that.

Maybe people just don't dive in like they used to? Perhaps they need an invitation?

I think it may just be a sign of the times. For instance for myself I don't even really look on facebook much anymore. It may just be getting older but I am not sure.

but I would like the place to be a bit more user friendly especially with the adverts. I know they are needed but it if you don't have an ad blocker installed in makes the place annoying. And as easy as it is to install one people don't want to.

also when looking at it from a phone it's annoying at the forum jumps about and i end up clicking on ads all the time that opens up videos.

I think emailing those who didn't make it over giving them help on doing so and explaining on how to remove the ads or banners that clutter the forum etc and also those who were hounded out and bullied, like Jorge and even GSTB, who suffered horrendous abuse, having a zero-tolerance policy on blatant racism and wishing death/cancer on people would make it a more accommodating place.

Also is there any promotion or social media sites that this forum is linked to? Maybe having a twitter account and promoting the forum that way. As for the lay-out I think it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yesterday a chap posted 'Is it worth me participating or is it a closed shop?' and I wondered whether we do appear cliquey to lurkers. We have mainly known each other for donkey's years, after all. But then I thought, nah, it's always been like that.

Maybe people just don't dive in like they used to? Perhaps they need an invitation?
    I think we're like a Desmond's-style West Indian barber shop. Everyone in here clearly knows one another and keeps rehearsing the same old themes, indulging in the in-jokes and generally having the same old discussions and arguments. However, that's probably quite intimidating to any potential new bod and they consequently shy away.

In the old days, there were more voices on here, so it was easier for new people to join in as they could slip in almost unnoticed amidst all the noise. Now if we have a new person, they are instantly scrutinised.

Maybe the best thing would be if the likes of us ****ed off and allowed new voices to emerge?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think we're like a Desmond's-style West Indian barber shop. Everyone in here clearly knows one another and keeps rehearsing the same old themes, indulging in the in-jokes and generally having the same old discussions and arguments. However, that's probably quite intimidating to any potential new bod and they consequently shy away.

In the old days, there were more voices on here, so it was easier for new people to join in as they could slip in almost unnoticed amidst all the noise. Now if we have a new person, they are instantly scrutinised.

Maybe the best thing would be if the likes of us ****ed off and allowed new voices to emerge?
    Just had a quick look...there are 68 people viewing this forum as we speak.Take away the half dozen or so that are posting and you have 60 people interested in the Arsenal but for some reason won't join in.Personally I don't understand why,surely it can't be because they're frightened of someone calling them a ****?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Just had a quick look...there are 68 people viewing this forum as we speak.Take away the half dozen or so that are posting and you have 60 people interested in the Arsenal but for some reason won't join in.Personally I don't understand why,surely it can't be because they're frightened of someone calling them a ****?
    On a separate note. Not 1 but 2 f ucking stickys! It's almost like they want Wenger to leave now.