Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The first league game and it's already make-or-break time

Per was no longer a confirmed starter last season, which implies he was gradually being eased into being a squad player. Knowing that at best he and Gabriel (inexperienced pairing) would play should have rung some alarm bells.

But Per actually got injured on 22nd July, and was immediately confirmed as a long-term absentee, and the club hardly raced off to try and plug that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The fact that the team does not have the absolute support of the crowd at all times (and let's stop to consider what an understatement that is) should be toxic to you. Unless you think knee-jerk negativity is a natural and healthy reaction by people to sporting imperfection by the team they claim to "love"
    Human beings are not robots mind you. It is nigh on impossible to expect them to be 100% positive in their support all the time. They react to what is going on around them, when good they cheer, when not good they shout.

It is **** all to do with support or “love” as you felt the need to highlights in inverted commas, it is simply entirely normal and acceptable human behaviour.

Of course it can overspill into nastiness which is never nice but you know we are not unique in that as a football club.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Don’t even get me started on the penalty he gave away v Liverpool. ****ing cretin.
    That wiped out any kudos he had for THAT cross against Manchester United.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Human beings are not robots mind you. It is nigh on impossible to expect them to be 100% positive in their support all the time. They react to what is going on around them, when good they cheer, when not good they shout.

It is **** all to do with support or “love” as you felt the need to highlights in inverted commas, it is simply entirely normal and acceptable human behaviour.

Of course it can overspill into nastiness which is never nice but you know we are not unique in that as a football club.
    Yes, I too have been known to wail in despair at a missed chance, perhaps even called one of our players a ninkompoop for a wayward pass. But I would never dream of shouting abuse at a player or the team beyond that instinctive reaction, save for the most extreme circumstances. This does not make me a robot. It makes me true to my stated claim of being a supporter with the best interests of the club at heart.

If you fall short of that, it is due to your own personal failings and you should a) be ashamed of yourself and work at being a better human, and b) feel guilty about tainting the match-going experience for those of us who are able to control their emotions and not act like an emotionally incontenent man-child
    Last edited by Monty92; 08-11-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yes, I too have been known to wail in despair at a missed chance, perhaps even called one of our players a ninkompoop for a wayward pass. But I would never dream of shouting abuse at a player or the team beyond that instinctive reaction, save for the most extreme circumstances. This does not make me a robot. It makes me true to my stated claim of being a supporter with the best interests of the club at heart.

If you fall short of that, it is due to your own personal failings and you should a) be ashamed of yourself and work at being a better human, and b) feel guilty about tainting the match-going experience for those of us who are able to control their emotions and not act like an emotionally incontenent man-child
    Please note I am not condoning sustained abuse of any player during the course of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Per was no longer a confirmed starter last season, which implies he was gradually being eased into being a squad player. Knowing that at best he and Gabriel (inexperienced pairing) would play should have rung some alarm bells.

But Per actually got injured on 22nd July, and was immediately confirmed as a long-term absentee, and the club hardly raced off to try and plug that hole.
    At that point Gabriel was still fit and we signed a young defender called Holding.

I was there that night

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Come, come, sw. We are of an age to have seen many prize ****s come and go at the Arsenal - most of them far worse players than Eboue. That was the first time I ever saw one booed by most of the crowd, though. A sad, sad day.
    Alex Song got the same away at Fulham too, the whole team was utter ****e that game. Would never boo an Arsenal player.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Exactly.. The faux mourning over Gabriel I found confusing. I thought he was also deemed largely ****, despite a promising first few run outs.
    Now it seems our future is hanging in the balance because of him.. Most strange.
    The point is that Gabby had stunning stats in Spain. He's got what it takes to be a top drawer defender, even if he's made a few cock ups and was having trouble learning the lingo.

Chambers needs someone with experience next to him to develop, Holding's a kid from a relegated lower division team, and that Bielek {or however its spelled} looked woeful in pre-season, giving the ball away in the most dangerous of situations quite regularly.