Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The first league game and it's already make-or-break time

Quote Originally Posted by Bergkamp Was Best View Post
    The whingers have increased in numbers but they've always been there, even at Highbury when we were winning titles. If they're not moaning about the team as a whole then they will aim the criticism at a player (I remember the sh*t Parlour and Gilberto used to get). The only way to pipe them down is to win the league, or run someone very close.
    There were even moaners in the 30's, when we were winning the league every year. There's nothing 'toxic' about where I sit, or where I used to sit. Doubtless there are some nests of discontent around the ground, and some particularly negative individuals, but sometimes I wonder if people just like to moan about the moaning as part of a 'it were better in my day' routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    There were even moaners in the 30's, when we were winning the league every year. There's nothing 'toxic' about where I sit, or where I used to sit. Doubtless there are some nests of discontent around the ground, and some particularly negative individuals, but sometimes I wonder if people just like to moan about the moaning as part of a 'it were better in my day' routine.
    I think the point at which I started to lose faith was the Wigan game when an Arsenal crowd booed their own player who was having a bad game (Eboue). I was disgusted by that. Unfortunately, that would barely be seen as unusual anymore.

Agreed. But it fits the narrative of "back in my day" and Arsenal fans being ****, just as no big money signings fit the narrative of Arsene out.

People are one and the same, they just like to think they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think the point at which I started to lose faith was the Wigan game when an Arsenal crowd booed their own player who was having a bad game (Eboue). I was disgusted by that. Unfortunately, that would barely be seen as unusual anymore.
    Eboue was an utter prize **** all the same.

He deserved all the abuse he got, though not during a game.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Eboue was an utter prize **** all the same.

He deserved all the abuse he got, though not during a game.
    Come, come, sw. We are of an age to have seen many prize ****s come and go at the Arsenal - most of them far worse players than Eboue. That was the first time I ever saw one booed by most of the crowd, though. A sad, sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Because people are highly frustrated at the transfer situation and all these tensions will erupt if they feel we've lost because of not having had the fairly simple foresight to ensure we have at least one fit senior centre-half on opening day.

Because many will believe (rightly or wrongly) that a loss at home to Liverpool will confirm we won't be challengers this year and thus the dream of winning the league will be stillborn.
    I don't think you can plan your transfer activity around the possibility that your three first choice centre backs won't be available for the first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Come, come, sw. We are of an age to have seen many prize ****s come and go at the Arsenal - most of them far worse players than Eboue. That was the first time I ever saw one booed by most of the crowd, though. A sad, sad day.
    Well I’m of an age now where I don’t feel the necessary pressure to actually like our players, to pretend that I would like to be mates with them. Insufferable ****s some of them I imagine.

Eboue I really struggled with.

I enjoyed how so many people liked him and defended him as he was the proverbial japester. In fact he was a ****, and if you knew such a japestar in everyday life, in your place of work for example, you would think he was an insufferable ****.

Eboue was great craic though, because he played for us. In fact he was no better than an Ivorian Jimmy Bullard, and he was a complete **** as well.

Don’t even get me started on the penalty he gave away v Liverpool. ****ing cretin.

I’m with you on the booing mind you, a rum affair. But then what is football if it is not pantomime, boo and hiss, he is behind you.

The fact that the team does not have the absolute support of the crowd at all times (and let's stop to consider what an understatement that is) should be toxic to you. Unless you think knee-jerk negativity is a natural and healthy reaction by people to sporting imperfection by the team they claim to "love"

You can if it's fairly foreseeable. Most people thought France would get to the semis at least and Per, as has been mentioned earlier, was hardly a tower of strength last season. Only the Gabriel injury can be seen as unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    You can if it's fairly foreseeable. Most people thought France would get to the semis at least and Per, as has been mentioned earlier, was hardly a tower of strength last season. Only the Gabriel injury can be seen as unfortunate.
    But I don't think you can buy a top centre back becase your best defender might miss one game. For that you have competent reserves like chambers.

If you think our three best centre backs are not good enough then that is an entirely separate conversation and irrelevant to the one we're having about squad planning