Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arsene has this wrong about the new rule change hasn't he?

Arsene has this wrong about the new rule change hasn't he?

Now you won't get sent off for giving away a pen. Wenger said we had to play with 10 men in a CL final but that rule hasn't changed has it? Stopping a goal scoring opportunity when a pen is not given? i.e outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Gooner View Post
    Now you won't get sent off for giving away a pen. Wenger said we had to play with 10 men in a CL final but that rule hasn't changed has it? Stopping a goal scoring opportunity when a pen is not given? i.e outside the box.
    Good rule change though. Always was a bit absurd that the award of a penalty is somehow the denial of a goalscoring opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Good rule change though. Always was a bit absurd that the award of a penalty is somehow the denial of a goalscoring opportunity.
    Dunno. Think of Suarez's handball in thon Worldy Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I always thought it seemed like a double punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I always thought it seemed like a double punishment.
    I think it would be fairer if the player could only be sent off if the penalty didn't go in.

EDIT: Although now I think about it, that could lead to teams deliberately missing penalties in order to reduce the opposition to 10 men.

Perhaps the attacking team should have the option? Penalty or sending off, but not both?
    Last edited by Burney; 08-10-2016 at 10:52 AM.

If the ball is going in and only stopped by illegal play the goal should be given. If the penalty is missed it can be a good trade-off, sending off or not.

Players will still be sent off for holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball.

so there.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think it would be fairer if the player could only be sent off if the penalty didn't go in.

EDIT: Although now I think about it, that could lead to teams deliberately missing penalties in order to reduce the opposition to 10 men.

Perhaps the attacking team should have the option? Penalty or sending off, but not both?
    I like the option idea could lead to all sort of underhandedness.
    sometimes playing against 10 men can be rather tricky if they shut up shop. Like a lot of teams do against us anyway.

Everyone would pick that as you may miss the pen. The sending off is a definite.

Also I forgot to add. I say it's a double punishment but when it's a keeper who is sent off it's almost triple punishment.

one player less a possible goal and you lose a sub.

Goalkeepers are still vulnerable in the law change innit

Not playing the ball (and catching the player) could still be a straight red.

Plus coming off the line early for a penalty kick is now a yellow card offence.

Although penalties can now only be given if the ball is still in play. I'm sure Vardy feels this will impede his penalty winning strategy of hoofing the ball into the crowd whilst falling over the keeper.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I like the option idea could lead to all sort of underhandedness.
    sometimes playing against 10 men can be rather tricky if they shut up shop. Like a lot of teams do against us anyway.

Everyone would pick that as you may miss the pen. The sending off is a definite.

Also I forgot to add. I say it's a double punishment but when it's a keeper who is sent off it's almost triple punishment.

one player less a possible goal and you lose a sub.
    Of course, all this could be made much simpler if football simply did the sensible thing and introduced the sin bin. But football hates taking lessons from other sports, which is why its officiating lags about 40 years behind every other sport on the planet.