Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: once again our transfer activity underwhelms

once again our transfer activity underwhelms

In 2012 Gazidis said

"What we can do is develop a really solid financial platform for the club that gives us the ability to compete for top players that we want to bring in and also top players that we want to keep. I think we will be able to be more financially competitive. We can pay bigger salaries and I think we can invest more in transfer fees."

Now in 2016 when we have the solid financial platform it seems like we can't compete in the transfer market. Total ****e. Other teams seems to be finding players of good quality to buy so why can't we ? Maybe because top players want to go to clubs who can win top trophies not clubs happy being in the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by gco40203 View Post
    In 2012 Gazidis said

"What we can do is develop a really solid financial platform for the club that gives us the ability to compete for top players that we want to bring in and also top players that we want to keep. I think we will be able to be more financially competitive. We can pay bigger salaries and I think we can invest more in transfer fees."

Now in 2016 when we have the solid financial platform it seems like we can't compete in the transfer market. Total ****e. Other teams seems to be finding players of good quality to buy so why can't we ? Maybe because top players want to go to clubs who can win top trophies not clubs happy being in the top 4.
    I was thinking about this earlier. 'Not competing' seems to mean 'can't compete, then why sign anybody at all'
    I am talking more in regards to a striker. We needed one for years. If he doesn't want to spend 50m plus at least get another one.

'Yeah but he did that fash with Welbeck' well he's injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I was thinking about this earlier. 'Not competing' seems to mean 'can't compete, then why sign anybody at all'
    I am talking more in regards to a striker. We needed one for years. If he doesn't want to spend 50m plus at least get another one.

'Yeah but he did that fash with Welbeck' well he's injured.
    Is all this moaning happening just because United are about to spend 100 million on Pigbag?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Is all this moaning happening just because United are about to spend 100 million on Pigbag?
    I am moaning as we blew it last year once again. (Yeah but we finished 2nd)

We seem to make trivial bids for players. this 40m +1 *******s for Saurez.
    Now we come in with a offer for Lacazette lower than what West Ham offered.

United have a new manager, one who gets the best of Wenger, Pep may turn city around. Chelsea won't be as bad as they were last year. And spurs looked somewhat improved.

Then you got Leicester who came out of nowhere (I expect them to fall next season) and West Ham will be up there soon.

Then you got Ivan saying we can't spend money. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Stop ****ing about imo. If you really want to sign someone go out and do it.

United have a new manager, one who gets the best of Wenger, Pep may turn city around. Chelsea won't be as bad as they were last year. And spurs looked somewhat improved.

Then you got Leicester who came out of nowhere (I expect them to fall next season) and West Ham will be up there soon.

Our failure to win the league last year was nothing to do with us not signing players. It was everything to do with the players we had failing to perform to the best of their ability. So far, we appear to have signed one very good player and one potentially very good player and I'm less convinced than some of our need for a striker, so I'm happy to wait an see. You seem to want us to pay over the odds for people just because that's what's on the price tag.

Our failure to win the league last year was nothing to do with us not signing players. It was everything to do with the players we had failing to perform to the best of their ability. So far, we appear to have signed one very good player and one potentially very good player and I'm less convinced than some of our need for a striker, so I'm happy to wait an see. You seem to want us to pay over the odds for people just because that's what's on the price tag.
    We shall see. I don't enjoy it anymore It used to be fun. (not just when we used to win stuff)

While I agree broadly with your statement regarding the failure of some “to perform to the best of their ability” perhaps the issue is more complicated, and in fact some of those players in whom we have invested time and energy to date are simply not ever going to be *good enough*, or can reach the level to which we had hoped the best of their ability equates.

I am looking specifically here at players such as Walcott and Chamberlain, players we have waited patiently on for years now. I am more than willing to allow Wilshere further time here, but you know he has things to prove to many this year.

In respect of players such as the ex-Southampton duo, while Monty would normally jump to the defence of youth and related inconsistency I am not sure this really applies anymore.

I could be particularly harsh here and maybe add Chalmers in here, signed as a promising young defender and now schooled by the club for 2-3 years. If he is not now ready to step into the breach and cover the Perloss then quite frankly why are we employing him.

I do agree with you on Xhaka who is a very exciting arrival but we need more. The players did not perform to the best of their ability last year, or perhaps as I posited they simply were not good enough. Little to suggest they will be next year.

Others, as in other sides, will no doubt improve with new players and crucially new managers and their inputs and ideas.

Nothing convinces me, or suggests to me, that we will.

However, it is but the late days of July and although the evenings are noticeably shortening, the summer is far from over.
    Last edited by SWv2; 07-28-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I could be particularly harsh here and maybe add Chalmers in here, signed as a promising young defender and now schooled by the club for 2-3 years. If he is not now ready to step into the breach and cover the Perloss then quite frankly why are we employing him.
    Obviously we don't see the training sessions, only the actual football matches, but I , and many, think that Chambers did quite well at CH when given the chance. Better certainly than he did at RB where, after a decent start, he became rather poor. Another player who performed decently when given the rare chance was the Costa Rican, but like Chambers, AW doesn't seem to rate him particularly, and he wouldn't even make the bench towards the end of the season.

What I'm saying here, and saying secure in the knowledge that a certain east Finchleyite is up to his arms in baby poo, and a certain Bavarian seems to be on holiday for ever, is that perhaps in addition to some of our players underperforming, and others not being as good as we'd thought, a third group are not being given the opportunities to develop and shine as some of their counterparts.

The offer we made for Lacazzete was weeks ago, before West Ham's.....I would also point out that we signed Sanchez for over £2m less than Liverpool offered

The transfer window doesn't shut for another month

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    The offer we made for Lacazzete was weeks ago, before West Ham's.....I would also point out that we signed Sanchez for over £2m less than Liverpool offered

The transfer window doesn't shut for another month
    I don't know why we wouldn't want to go into the beginning of the season with everything in place.