Thread: Boris has ruled himself out of the leadership :(

Boris has ruled himself out of the leadership :(

Gove or May

May it is then. A remain campaigner FFS

Bloody hell! He is like Moses then.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Floyd View Post
    Gove or May

May it is then. A remain campaigner FFS
    Oh, this is splendid stuff! We'll probably have Gove dropping out next.

I do wish May would do something about her hair, though.

I wish she'd bugger off to the Lib Dems with her silly shoes.

Cold feet at actually having to be the PM that leads the UK out of the EU??

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Cold feet at actually having to be the PM that leads the UK out of the EU??
    Maybe. Or the realisation that if the vote is split between himself, Gove and, to a lesser extent, Fox, May can win outright in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Maybe. Or the realisation that if the vote is split between himself, Gove and, to a lesser extent, Fox, May can win outright in the first round.
    Yup. They realised they had to do something to stop him becoming PM at this stage because he'd have won the membership vote hands down, but they could well have ended up with a Labour situation whereby the membership loved him, but the parliamentary party couldn't work with him. In that context, May is the best compromise.

May is a terrible decision from the view of making people regain confidence in the political process. It is the establishment saying "we will run the show however much you kick and shout".

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    May is a terrible decision from the view of making people regain confidence in the political process. It is the establishment saying "we will run the show however much you kick and shout".
    Only if you regard last week's referendum as some sort of mandate for Boris or Gove. I didn't vote for either of them. I voted on the issue at hand, which was whether to remain part of the EU. Now we've decided not to, we have to manage the process of leaving as best as possible. Clearly, the feeling is that Boris isn't the best chap for that.

It certainly wasn't a mandate for May. She backed an idea which was thrown out by the voters.

The feeling is that the minority of Tories who voted to leave can rally around her and, with the help of some realpolitikians, provide us with a PM who comes from a minority within a minority.

That's not democracy. It's pretty close to a constitutional coup.