Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So members of the same English football press who have for years ridiculed AW now

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I was under the impression that the reason we ended up waiting for him to turn up was because he was seeing out his contract at Grampus 8 (such a stupid name for a football club - wd Japanesers)?
    It was to the end of their season I think (or one stage of their convoluted system), not the end of his contract. He is of course undoubtedly an honorable man and far too good for the England job

want him as England manager?

Sometimes I wish he weren't such a nice man and would publicly tell them all to get ****ed.
    I actually think the most offensive one to him* (and many have backed him if not been entirely uncritical) is Henry Winter who in one day has shifted from a Southgate/Hoddle combo to a bizarre Howe/Gerrard dream team this morning. Where to start with that...

*discounted that hateful ginger clickbait merchant at the Mail who's name escapes me and Piers Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I actually think the most offensive one to him* (and many have backed him if not been entirely uncritical) is Henry Winter who in one day has shifted from a Southgate/Hoddle combo to a bizarre Howe/Gerrard dream team this morning. Where to start with that...

*discounted that hateful ginger clickbait merchant at the Mail who's name escapes me and Piers Morgan
    Hold on, Don Howe died years ago, didn't he?

Mind you, we'd be assured of England playing a solid 4-4-2, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hold on, Don Howe died years ago, didn't he?

Mind you, we'd be assured of England playing a solid 4-4-2, at least.
    If we can pick a foreigner why can't we pick a dead man? Still be more interesting than Gerrard.

He actually only died last Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Christ, imagine what they'd do to him in the inevitable event of England's failure at the next tournament
    Even if he was no longer in our employment I'd want him to steer well clear, does not deserve the inevitable abuse

Although the thought of Southgate being charge is just horrific

want him as England manager?

Sometimes I wish he weren't such a nice man and would publicly tell them all to get ****ed.
    To be fair, there’s not really anyone in the media who has ever suggested he’s a fundamentally bad manager. On the contrary, everyone almost universally agrees he’s a very good one, but also a stubborn one who is overly bound to his principles.

Which I don't necessarily agree with, but is nonetheless an entirely fair comment to make.

I was under the impression that the reason we ended up waiting for him to turn up was because he was seeing out his contract at Grampus 8 (such a stupid name for a football club - wd Japanesers)?
    It's a misreporting of their culinary habits. Should be "Grampus ate".

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    To be fair, there’s not really anyone in the media who has ever suggested he’s a fundamentally bad manager. On the contrary, everyone almost universally agrees he’s a very good one, but also a stubborn one who is overly bound to his principles.

Which I don't necessarily agree with, but is nonetheless an entirely fair comment to make.
    Snide, dismissive criticism is inherent, though, in the use of the term "principles" itself. See also: Philosophy.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    It's a misreporting of their culinary habits. Should be "Grampus ate".
    I always thought it sounded like someone telling you the time.
    what time is it?
    It's Grampus 8

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    If we can pick a foreigner why can't we pick a dead man? Still be more interesting than Gerrard.

He actually only died last Christmas
    We could get thon boobylady to bring him back to life imo.

Mmmm boobylady